Why become a member? ×

Satin finish coming off

Paolo85

Coming back from a 2 week holiday I noticed a dark patch on the back of the neck of a Squier Affinity I had bought recently (see first photo)

I tried to clean it with Dunlop guitar polish, and while it is not as dark anymore, the patch is still visible (see second photo, but itbis more visible tham the photo would suggest, depending on the light).

It feels a bit rugged and I am pretty sure the satin finish has come off there.

I really am no expert so I wonder how do I go about fixing it. Possibly a simple, low cost fix.

Is this something to address urgently? Or the neck will be alright for a bit without finish?

Thanks

20220829_084009.jpg

20220830_233756.jpg

I think you're probably stuck with the 'patina' you have now.

Satin finish refers to the texture of the surface that is exposed to the elements. It seems you have polished a stain that got into the clear coat. Ain't nothing going to bring back satin except taking to it with super fine grit but the stain will still be there. I would leave it alone.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. To be honest I am not much worried about the stain or the rugged feeling. I am worried though that if the finish is compromosed, the neck may be susceptible to damage from humidity. In fact, I wonder if that's what the stain was in the first place..

Should I be worrying about that?

I can't see any edge to indicate flaking off or feathering to indicate wearing off. Adds up to it just being stained.

If it is indeed naked wood you could probably spray some satin polyurethane with a gobo to stop it going everywhere. Not a job I'd be particularly keen to tackle myself but not much in the way of humidity for me to be bothered by here.