Why become a member? ×

NBD - I finally bit the bullet (well, it took a while to arrive actually)

Marc S

I posted a question about the Kala "Journeyman" U-bass some time back. I'd not seen one in the flesh, and wanted to try one out.

Several months back, when in my local PMT branch, I was discussing this version of the U-bass with a staff member I often chat to. He suggested I order one, and if I didn't like it - I could simply return it. So I ordered one, and it took several months to arrive. So long in fact, I'd almost forgotten it. Apparently, there weren't any in the UK, and bear in mind that the UK distribution centre is just a few miles up the road from me.

I'd previously owned a Kala U-bass, and as I've mentioned before - I just didn't get on with the strings. I know others have said that's not an issue.... but for me it was - so I ended up just not playing it. Anyhow, on spotting the Journeyman, I felt like trying again, especially as the one I'd seen online had flatwound strings. Mine has rounds - but that's OK. In any case it would be a simple swap to fit flats (wouldn't it?).

My first thoughts were that I had more of an instant bond with this than the last one. The strings felt a much better / more comfortable gauge, "feel" and tension. Moreover I instantly liked the sound too. It's quite different to the rubber string version. It sounds less DB-like (which was one factor I liked about the other version) but still sounded great anyway. It's also very loud unplugged - notably more than the version with rubber strings. I'd say it's possibly as loud as my old Ibanez acoustic bass.... maybe. Amplified, it's got very different sound characteristics to any of my bass guitars. I can still get a tone that's a little like an uprtight (ish). Now I need to play it more to get used to the scale, and I need to take it to rehearsal to see what it sounds like in the mix. I'm looking forward to taking it to one of the folk club pub-jams I sometimes tag along to. Very happy :) 

20220818_170120.jpg

20220818_170144.jpg

20220818_170203.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Harry B said:

That bass looks great!. I bought a kala u bass on reverb and it came from France within a few days only issue being import prices. How would you say the journeyman compares to the normal U bass shape?

Hi Harry.

The shape of the bass is very similar (from my memory of my old one). It's a similar weight and "feel" in terms of the body contours and neck shape / profile.
It's a lot louder than the other one though - probably down to the metal strings, as opposed to the rubber ones. I must admit, I prefer it aesthetically too - I really like the "f-holes" on the front.

I think it took so long, because there were supply issues here in the UK. I could have got one sooner if I'd bought it from Germany. Online there seemed to be plenty there. However, I wasn't particularly in a rush, and feared how much import duty would cost. I tend to play pub jams using my Cort Steinberger clone, as that's lightweight and pretty compact. This Kala is even more so, of course.

The journeyman was also considerably cheaper than my previous model of Kala U-bass. Though since ordering mine, I note they've gone up in price again. (They seem to be around £319 now - I think mine was £289 :o ).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marc S said:

Hi Harry.

The shape of the bass is very similar (from my memory of my old one). It's a similar weight and "feel" in terms of the body contours and neck shape / profile.
It's a lot louder than the other one though - probably down to the metal strings, as opposed to the rubber ones. I must admit, I prefer it aesthetically too - I really like the "f-holes" on the front.

I think it took so long, because there were supply issues here in the UK. I could have got one sooner if I'd bought it from Germany. Online there seemed to be plenty there. However, I wasn't particularly in a rush, and feared how much import duty would cost. I tend to play pub jams using my Cort Steinberger clone, as that's lightweight and pretty compact. This Kala is even more so, of course.

The journeyman was also considerably cheaper than my previous model of Kala U-bass. Though since ordering mine, I note they've gone up in price again. (They seem to be around £319 now - I think mine was £289 :o ).

Yes they seem to be getting more expensive every time I look. I haven’t played mine live yet so it would be interesting to see how well it holds up against my P bass.

3 hours ago, Harry B said:

Yes they seem to be getting more expensive every time I look. I haven’t played mine live yet so it would be interesting to see how well it holds up against my P bass.

I'd be interested to see what you think, when you do your comparison. Of course, it's going to sound quite different- but a side by side comparison is always useful.

I haven't played mine through a gigging amp yet. Even through my home / practice amp, it sounds nothing like any of my other basses.

Just now, Mickeyboro said:

Snap! Got mine yesterday. 

image.jpg

Great! Let us know what you think.

Sadly, due to work / family stuff / etc I'm not getting to spend enough time with mine. But hoping to fix that over the next few days.

It's lots of fun though 😀