Why become a member? ×

Kemp Lumped Strings

D0gS0litud3

Couldn't find a thread on these strings on a search so I thought I'd share my experience with them.

If you want cheap and cheerful then these aren't the strings for you. But as a short scale player I do find that overtones can be a bit more pronounced with standard sets than on longer scale basses. Until I tried these I'd settled for TI flats which were very nice but darkened my tone a bit too much for live work.

So these are lumped strings ie: they have extra wrapping just after the saddles, carefully positioned to reduce overtoning. I've found that they work well compared to standard roundwound sets. Overtoning is reduced generally and where it does occur the overtones are more harmonious with the fundamental so I feel happy recommending these to anyone wants to explore reducing overtones by changing strings.

Link here to the sales page with some videos explaining the science behind them. Cheers!

https://kempstrings.com/product/lumped-45s/

• Thanks 2

Very interesting research paper by Dr Kemp, good to see he's applying theory to the manufacturing process and I hope he's successful.

In the final analysis it's the sound that counts and you've identified where they could be handy.

However, I use flats and long scale basses so unfortunately these won't be for me.

• Like 3