Why become a member? ×

Recording / Practice Setup Query

BruceBass3901

Hi everyone,

I've had a hunt around and couldn't find a solution, which already makes me wonder if what I am trying to achieve is not possible/sensible, but I thought there was no harm in asking.

I have a 3rd Gen Scarlett Solo hooked up to my pc (Windows 10 desktop) which I currently use to practice/play along with music as well as a general interface for my microphone (Shure MV7) and headphones.

When I am practicing, I have just been using the Direct Monitoring button on the Scarlett Solo so that my bass is patched straight through to the headphones, and the rest of the audio is still present, however this sometimes means messing around with the audio levels for the music source or the master volume of the Scarlett a lot, depending on what else I have been doing recently. It also means that the only sound possible is the dry sound from my bass.

I'm wondering if anybody can provide some guidance on a way I could use a DAW of some kind to be able to have a digital fader for the source audio and the bass input, so that this was a little more consistent when practicing? Bonus points if I can also record easily using this method.

My only recording experience so far was using Audacity with my previous Ashdown TonePocket interface.

Any guidance is appreciated.

I found the Focusrite Control app to be very useful when setting up this kind of thing, it allows various levels to be defined before they go to the DAW.

https://focusrite.com/en/focusrite-control

I use UAD interfaces now, they have a very similar app that also allows the use of plug-ins in the signal chain.

Be aware that adding effects of amp simulations in the DAW will lead to more latency in your signal, using a pre-amp ahead of the interface will cure this.