Why become a member? ×

So how does a pickup just up n die?

Ou7shined

The title says it really.

I have feverishly spent the last few days getting my custom 5 ready for the England/Scotland bash, just putting it back together and I discover that the bridge pickup is nearly dead - one side works (very quietly) but the B E side is dead. I pull it and test it - no continuity. I rig it up to a spare jack socket and it is now completely dead. How?
It's a [url="http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/5st_bass_pu_s.htm"]Bart 59J1 - L[/url] completely encased in resin so physical damage to the coils is out. I was quick and careful with the soldering and desoldering. I don't get it.

I'm so scunnered coz there were so many issues with this bass when I got it and I really wanted to show it off now I have fixed each one. The bridge pup really was the jewel of the bass, there's no point taking it to the bash now. :)

How did you take it out in the first place? Did you unsolder at the pot end or at the pickup? At the pot end should have been safe but if disconnecting and reconnecting at the base of the pickup it's possible to have applied enough heat to have damaged the begining of the coil wire even if it's out of sight by then. Re-wind is probably out of the question so replacement will be needed.

Dashed bad luck old bean.

Yeah the way it was originally knocked together meant that it was far more convenient to desolder from the pup end than desolder the mess of wiring and then re-thread the pup wire back through the dodgy routing. The Bart pup is a dream to desolder too as it has a common earth plate and a hot post sticking up out of it - so there's no mucking about, 2 touches of the iron and it's off. I see the 2 wires coming out for the common earth are good but as you say there's no way of telling what has happened at the other end of the +ve post as it is in the resin.