Why become a member? ×

First Bass build

JGTay

That is really nice. I would make one minor comment - it's something I've fallen foul of myself when changing pickups on one bass. A chisel is fine up to a point when cutting out pickup cavities (and, in this case, bridge cavities) but looking back at my own work, I'd say that ideally I should have a 3 or 4mm drill at each corner before doing the chiselling, so as to have rounded corners to the cavity. It isn't anything that anyone will ever see so I'm not that bothered. Your skills are far, far greater than mine anyway, and that is a lovely bass - I especially admire your blending of the three parts of the fretboard together, that is absolutely stunning.

43 minutes ago, tauzero said:

That is really nice. I would make one minor comment - it's something I've fallen foul of myself when changing pickups on one bass. A chisel is fine up to a point when cutting out pickup cavities (and, in this case, bridge cavities) but looking back at my own work, I'd say that ideally I should have a 3 or 4mm drill at each corner before doing the chiselling, so as to have rounded corners to the cavity. It isn't anything that anyone will ever see so I'm not that bothered. Your skills are far, far greater than mine anyway, and that is a lovely bass - I especially admire your blending of the three parts of the fretboard together, that is absolutely stunning.

Thank you. ☺️ The fretboard is something I had wanted to try for a while, I am so pleased it turned out how I imagined. 

I agree with regards the rounded corners on the cavities, this was my first time doing a bass and this style of pickup, I have only done humbucker pickups in the past and they have had the pickup surrounds which hide the cavities. Definitely something I will take into account next time. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late to the party but this looks great! I’m currently starting build number three so if my eighth looks anything like this I’ll be very happy! 

How did you find working with the Danish Oil? I ask because my teacher isn’t a fan and recommends that we use Osmo instead. I prefer the look of your Danish oil though. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

How did you find working with the Danish Oil?

The majority of my builds have had Danish oil finishes, I find it easy to use and can usually do three or four coats in a day. You do need to put a lot of coats on to get a good finish. 

I have never tried Osmo, but looking around a few woodworking sites it seems like you don't need as many coats and it is meant to be easier to apply, but a longer wait between coats. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JGTay said:

The majority of my builds have had Danish oil finishes, I find it easy to use and can usually do three or four coats in a day. You do need to put a lot of coats on to get a good finish. 

I have never tried Osmo, but looking around a few woodworking sites it seems like you don't need as many coats and it is meant to be easier to apply, but a longer wait between coats. 

Thanks that’s good to know. Yeah Osmo defo takes a while to dry, they recommend 24 hours I think but I find it can take up to 48 hours. I might try Danish Oil on my next build then to see how it goes.