Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

CK's wedge-shaped cabs thread

Kiwi

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='342876' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:52 AM']I'm also working on a very small and light design for upright bassists as there's a lot of lightweight amps out there but not a lot of choice when it comes to reasonably priced cabs with the kind of polar response an upright needs. Initial investigations are proving promising![/quote]
Is it going to be wedge shaped? :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='342919' date='Dec 2 2008, 12:31 PM']No, it'll be like The Compact in shape but smaller, and will have dual midrange drivers with different crossover points and unusual placement to give near omnidirectional output just like an unamplified double bass. Target weight of 20lbs and price of £350.[/quote]
I'm disappointed :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='342989' date='Dec 2 2008, 01:33 PM']I didn't think you played double bass...[/quote]
I don't really mate, nearly bought one of those NS Wav's a couple of years ago but it was going to take me 6 months to get comfortable on it and I didn't really have the time or motivation. I was more interested in knowing whether you still had plans for the angled cabs we discussed once.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='350064' date='Dec 9 2008, 06:48 PM']I thought you wanted an angled cab and I kept saying that the cost in low frequency response made an non-angled cab plus a tilt mechanism more logical? :huh: Still working on that, am getting very frustrated with unresponsive potential suppliers![/quote]

Indeed you did, but I did make the point that the GK RB700 1x15 wedge combo I had worked fine for me. :) So if you fancied doing something with the same dimensions but lighter and more rigid, it would probably be good enough.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='350081' date='Dec 9 2008, 07:02 PM']Indeed you did, but I did make the point that the GK RB700 1x15 wedge combo I had worked fine for me. :) So if you fancied doing something with the same dimensions but lighter and more rigid, it would probably be good enough.[/quote]

Ah, but I don't want to do just 'good enough' - it has to be great!

Don't you think a 12"+mid with the same external dimensions as The Compact and then a tilty thing so you could tilt it at two different angles (~30 and ~45 deg) and have the cab either vertically or horizontally aligned, would tick all the audibility boxes whilst also making it easier to carry and giving better bass response?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='350090' date='Dec 9 2008, 07:11 PM']Ah, but I don't want to do just 'good enough' - it has to be great!

Don't you think a 12"+mid with the same external dimensions as The Compact and then a tilty thing so you could tilt it at two different angles (~30 and ~45 deg) and have the cab either vertically or horizontally aligned, would tick all the audibility boxes whilst also making it easier to carry and giving better bass response?

Alex[/quote]
If you make it light enough, and fit [url="http://www.usspeaker.com/faital%20pro%20index-1.htm"]Faital drivers[/url] I'm sure it will be great. :) In principle I have no problems with a 12" cab, but it needs to be able to handle a B string with some authority. I can't comment on the tilty thing really until I see a sketch or something. So long as it doesn't walk around the stage when I'm pumping away I guess.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='350122' date='Dec 9 2008, 07:46 PM']If you make it light enough, and fit [url="http://www.usspeaker.com/faital%20pro%20index-1.htm"]Faital drivers[/url] I'm sure it will be great. :) In principle I have no problems with a 12" cab, but it needs to be able to handle a B string with some authority.[/quote]

That's why I don't like chopping off a load of cab volume to make it tiltback, because every extra cubic inch helps with getting an authoritative B string. Those Beyma/Faital drivers are quite impressive but I can't help thinking they'd work better for bassists with smaller magnets - for PA use where you have tons of EQ and need maximum midrange output then their approach makes sense but in a bass guitar cab that low Qts is going to choke off bass response and the gain in sensitivity higher up just isn't worth it when you're losing it low down where it really counts for bass. Quite heavy too for a neo 12".

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='350149' date='Dec 9 2008, 08:21 PM']That's why I don't like chopping off a load of cab volume to make it tiltback, because every extra cubic inch helps with getting an authoritative B string.[/quote]

Yeah but the GK combo was good enough. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='460037' date='Apr 11 2009, 05:39 PM']Make a wedge monitor Alex :)[/quote]

Find me a couple of dozen other bassists who want one and I'll design one! Otherwise you'll have to wait until I get my larger wedge stage monitor sorted. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='460037' date='Apr 11 2009, 05:39 PM']EDIT: BTW, looking at the size of this thread, it seems to me that you might benefit from an affliates forum.[/quote]

If you build it they will come. Would we just lift this entire thread over there? Could we work out a way of subdividing this thread into a few logical chronological sections to make it easier for browsing?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='460721' date='Apr 12 2009, 07:35 PM']Find me a couple of dozen other bassists who want one and I'll design one! Otherwise you'll have to wait until I get my larger wedge stage monitor sorted. :)[/quote]
A thaw at least. And the prospect of a "larger wedge stage monitor" is encouraging. Any specs? Also, can you make me two inside 5 weeks?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='460721' date='Apr 12 2009, 07:35 PM']If you build it they will come. Would we just lift this entire thread over there? Could we work out a way of subdividing this thread into a few logical chronological sections to make it easier for browsing?

Alex[/quote]
If we lifted the thread to a group where you were mod, you could chop it up to your hearts content.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='461266' date='Apr 13 2009, 03:07 PM']A thaw at least. And the prospect of a "larger wedge stage monitor" is encouraging. Any specs? Also, can you make me two inside 5 weeks?[/quote]

5 weeks?! You'll be lucky to get it in 5 months! :)

However, did you see the on and off-axis response plot up above? See how if you just got a Big One (or Big Baby) and stand so your ears are 45 deg off-axis you'll hear almost exactly the same sound as you would with the cab as a 45 deg tiltback wedge (and the total size of the latter will be bigger to get the internal volume needed for the woofer). Magic!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='461266' date='Apr 13 2009, 03:07 PM']If we lifted the thread to a group where you were mod, you could chop it up to your hearts content.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. Am quite happy to field more general questions about cabs like Dave Hall does on the amps side of things.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='461276' date='Apr 13 2009, 03:19 PM']Sounds good to me. Am quite happy to field more general questions about cabs like Dave Hall does on the amps side of things.[/quote]
OK well I'll talk to Ped about it and potentially we could stick your forum alongside Dave's.

• 2 weeks later...

if its pointing at my ears, I'll stand within range of it. I can always run away and come back if the stage is big enough. Two degrees of tilt isn't going to make a lot of difference, if the stage is bigger then I'll take two and stack one on the other.

I think sometimes having a lower tilt angle can be very important in preventing ceiling reflections, though that's more a vocal mic feedback issue. But any monitor I build will be suitable for vocals as well as excessively tall bassists on excessively small stages! :)

Alex

Good stuff! I was also looking at the spec for the Big Baby cab and wondering about two, but with my window for purchases rapidly running out, it seems unlikely that I will be able to take anything to NZ with me.