Why become a member? ×

GK Legend 800 tone discovery

Guest BassAdder27

My fairly new GK 800 head has been a challenge at times getting my ideal sound ( close to my ABM600) 

Although it’s my backup or smaller venue amp I still wanted to get a nicer tone from it and I came close to selling it but ….,

Ive learnt a very good tone feature that wasn’t obvious and not one I would normally choose at first.

The Legend has a bass boost, contour and presence switch and on its own Contour is a bit like the ABM600 SHAPE smiley face pulled mids sound. 
I normally avoid this tone as without the mids it gets lost in the mix.

However I’ve found a great sound where you run bass boost on and contour on but back off the bass control and boost the low mids and high mids.

You cannot achieve the same tone just using the B, LM, HM, Treb controls ( trust me I tried ) 

The resulting sound is fuller, more depth yet still punchy and the mid honk sound has gone. It sounds perfect with my PBass and is the best I’ve got out of this amp so far. 

Edited by BassAdder27

On 07/08/2022 at 17:30, BassAdder27 said:

However I’ve found a great sound where you run bass boost on and contour on but back off the bass control and boost the low mids and high mids.

You cannot achieve the same tone just using the B, LM, HM, Treb controls ( trust me I tried ) 

The resulting sound is fuller, more depth yet still punchy and the mid honk sound has gone. It sounds perfect with my PBass and is the best I’ve got out of this amp so far. 

That is the classic G&K 800/400RB way :)

Used at rehearsals ( loud ) and it sounds very good. Not far away from my ABM600 tone and is now the tone I need for my second amp 

Such a difference it makes using the contour switch and then boosting the low mids 

Unable to get that tone with only the Amp EQ rotary controls 

Good work GK 

Sounds amazing with a PBass 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Would you say you can get nearer to the ABM600 with the GK than the Ashdown RM amp?

No I don’t think so. I should of kept my RM800 as it may of been simpler matching the tone to my ABM600. 
Although with less EQ on the RM it was never quite the same

The Legacy 800 is a great amp and has a distinct growl to its sound when pushed and it has basically a second channel ( drive ) which is foot switch operated and can be used as a minor volume lift or a drive tone ( very mild ) 

The ABM600 tube warmth and drive really makes it top dog I think and lots of EQ adjustments