Why become a member? ×

Weather, junk, fiddling and rehearsal room acoustics

TimR

We rehearse at our guitarists House. He has some workshop style outbuilding. It usually heated by a small electric heater in the winter. In the summer the windows and doors are closed to keep the sound down for the neighbours. 

The room tends to be also used as temporary storage for his family's junk.

We are noticing a big difference in the sound in our rehearsal space seemingly depending on the weather and/or how much junk has been stored.

Last night the guitarist told me to turn down, but all I could then hear was guitar. I messed around for quite a few songs trying to get my volume right. We moved some junk around. None of my tone controls had been or ever are adjusted. All my EQ controls are always centred at zero.

We discussed how inconsistent the sound was, and I suggested it was all the junk that was changing the acoustics of the space. He seemed to think it was the weather. 

Eventually he looked at his amp and adjusted his bass knob saying he'd turned it up while practicing on his own at the weekend. Everything went back to normal and I could hear everything and it sounded much better.

At the end of the rehearsal he commented on how the sound had strangely improved since the beginning of the evening. 

Thought I'd share. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

If they relabeled guitar amp bass knobs as 'suck' it would make things a lot easier.

I was doing a series of gigs on DB with an acoustic guitarist. One time we set up and it sounded like derrière and nothing could fix it. Then he noticed he had switched off the low shelf filter on the guitar channel to do his solo gig. What a relief.

• Like 1