Why become a member? ×

Feedback prevention - F-its alternatives?

Jakester

8 hours ago, PaulKing said:

It's really pretty easy to make f-hole covers. I made sets for all my basses years ago, before F-its existed. I copied the design by 'Dougs Plugs' in USA (why are all these products apparently named by Finbar Saunders??)

You need 2 thicknesses of hi-density foam. A thick piece for the plug (20-30mm) and a thin piece (3-5 mm) for the top (which stops it falling into the f-hole).

As previously described, you just do a pencil rubbing of your f-hole (only 1 needed as they're exact mirror images).

Cut it out, and draw round it onto the thick foam. Cut out with a modelling knife. Safest to be fairly loose with the cutting so the piece is a fraction oversized, then you can trim (or file) until it fits.

Then do same with the thin piece of foam, but cut 3 or 4 mm bigger all round. stick that piece onto the outer surface of the plug using appropriate glue. Done.

I swear by these things. Used every gig for more years than I can remember. Feedback is practically a thing of the past. I play pretty loud ... Markbass 500W into 2 12" cabs, wound up pretty hot, standing right in front.

I often go wireless-walkabouts in front of festival PAs too. Not a peep of feedback.

Valiant efforts with parametric filters could only succeed in amping it up to a level that wasn't really enough for the band to hear me let alone play to the room. I will have to give the f stoppers a whirl.