Why become a member? ×

David Gage Czech Ease - *SOLD*
£3500
Birmingham

David Gage Czech Ease Original Design with golden brown veneer.

Lightweight flight case (underweight at airport check-in) and soft cover.

I bought the bass from David Gage in New York but the setup was awful. I spent a fair bit of money replacing the fingerboard and bridge (adjustable) as the original was cheap and awful; and had the bass properly setup by my luthier in Paris.

I bought this bass as a "second bass" for travelling with ease. Now that I don't travel anymore I don't really have a use for it and my wife is putting a lot of pressure on me to sell it - double basses take up a lot of space apparently.

The bass came with The Realist (which I still have), but I experimented with multiple pickups over the years and found that the one I currently have on the bass works well (I think it's K&K).

I'm not sure how much this outfit would cost today, but at the time I spent over $5000 at David Gage and that's without shipping and customs/tax charges. But more importantly the bass plays, feels and (to a certain extent) looks very different to the one I originally bought. I think this instrument represents a bargain at the price of £3500. 

Please get in touch if you have any questions.

IMG_3240.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_3241.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

IMG_3255.jpeg

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3258.jpeg

IMG_3259.jpeg

IMG_3260.jpeg

IMG_3261.jpeg

IMG_3262.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3233.jpeg

IMG_3234.jpeg

IMG_3235.jpeg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 3

I have a solid woods Czech Ease and I must say, when well set up, it is a great instrument. At the moment, air travels are no longer a feature for me either, and yet, my own Czech Ease is great for small cramped venue stages (the bread and butter gigs), loud gigs (thankfully not too many of them but otherwise so hard to amplify) and above all the wonderful chance to practice double bass while sitting on the sofa!

Mine comes from a dear friend and mentor, so I would probably never sell it, but I’m so glad to have one that I think it can be a good addition to the family of many other bass players. I’d say it shouldn’t be your main bass though, because it’s still missing a good chunk of wood, although the sound is really awesome! Basically GLWTS

Saw Chris Wood playing one of these, which in itself is a pretty serious endorsement, and he made it sound pretty close to not only an upright, but a decent upright at that. I'd love to have this in my collection, flight case must make life very simple. I still miss my Chadwick but it was a real PITA to build and take down at times, this looks to have things covered nicely 👍

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • wateroftyne changed the title to David Gage Czech Ease *** SOLD ***