Why become a member? ×

Aguilar TH500 Problem! PLEASE HELP!

sambecker1

I own an Aguilar TH500 amplifier and quite a few times recently when I have used the amp, I have turned the amp on and upon playing the sound is extremely low volume and really badly distorted unless I really dig in and then the sound pops out and crackles making the amp totally unusable. On one occasion I was able to get a normal sound after pressing the operate button quite a few times and apart from that I have to turn the amp off and hope that when it turns back on it has gone, although it usually stays and I have to use a different amp. 

I took the lid off recently and cleaned the dust out very gently with a microfibre cloth and used a little bit off contact cleaner in the obvious places to see if this helped (I have lots of experience with amplifiers and electronics) but the issue still exists. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated! 

Best wishes,

Sam

5 hours ago, sambecker1 said:

I own an Aguilar TH500 amplifier and quite a few times recently when I have used the amp, I have turned the amp on and upon playing the sound is extremely low volume and really badly distorted unless I really dig in and then the sound pops out and crackles making the amp totally unusable. On one occasion I was able to get a normal sound after pressing the operate button quite a few times and apart from that I have to turn the amp off and hope that when it turns back on it has gone, although it usually stays and I have to use a different amp. 

I took the lid off recently and cleaned the dust out very gently with a microfibre cloth and used a little bit off contact cleaner in the obvious places to see if this helped (I have lots of experience with amplifiers and electronics) but the issue still exists. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated! 

Best wishes,

Sam

Try putting one end of a guitar cable into the send socket and one end into the return socket, they often get corroded and the cable trick often proves it one way or another. If that does not work it could be the ICEPower module. They are incredibly reliable but even it the failure rate is 1 in 1000, someone gets that 1. The TH500 uses the 250ASX2 module and if that has gone, it is not cheap.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

Thank you for all of your help folks! I haven’t used it loads recently but cleaning the jack inputs (including effects loop) seems to have done the trick! Thank you all so much! I’ll let you know if I run into any more issues.

all the best,

sam

• Like 1