Why become a member? ×

Need more RAM.... any advice?

Nail Soup

On 20/06/2022 at 17:58, adamg67 said:

Okay… so first thing to say is that this is just what the BC hive mind has already said above but in more detail (I’ve got time to poke about on the iPad while laid up with everyone’s favourite virus, although my temperature at any given time can limit my ability to think straight :) )

I couldn’t find that part number for sale in the uk (not genuine Samsung anyway) or on the Samsung site but did find it on a US site which had the main specs, which look right based on what’s on the Samsung site for similar part numbers: https://harddiskdirect.com/m378a1k43eb2-cwe-samsung-8gb-pc4-25600-ddr4-3200mhz-non-ecc-unbuffered-cl22-udimm-1-2v-single-rank-memory-modules.html

Specs are: 8GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL22 UDIMM 1.2V Single-Rank Memory Module

Lenovo aren’t very helpful with mobo manuals, so even if the memory is replaced the safest thing to do is stick to that spec and you know the motherboard supports it. If the crucial scanner is right you can go up to 32G in a slot so that spec in 8, 16 or 32G should be good, bearing in mind that you need the same size modules if there are more than one.

The good news is that looks like a pretty common spec so you can go with a sensible make, a couple of obvious examples for 8 and 16 gig:

https://www.cclonline.com/ct8g4dfra32a-crucial-8gb-1x8gb-3200mhz-ddr4-memory/

https://www.cclonline.com/ct16g4dfra32a-crucial-16gb-1x16gb-3200mhz-ddr4-memory/

Couple of obvious Options:

1. Get one of the crucial 8G modules, or something similar, and add it alongside the Samsung. Specs are good, but run a full memory test (there are memory test tools that boot off a USB drive and do some mad clever tests, and some newer ones that don’t need to be be bootable that I havn’t tried). If there are any issues, you’ve got the option of swapping the original Samsung module out for a second crucial one, after checking everything is in the right slot etc, and sticking the Samsung one on eBay. You’re also on relatively popular and easy to source memory so if you want to go up again (you would have to double it to 32G) you can, but you shouldn’t need to.

2. Get one of crucial 16G modules and stick the Samsung 8G one on eBay. No need to guess about slots (although that should be easy) just replace one with the other. Although there’s no guarantee the old memory will sell there’s a pretty good chance if you put the full specs on. I’d stick it on for £40 posted and see what happens. Again you’re on something common so can upgrade if you want. This would probably be what I’d do.

obviously happy for other people to chip in (like it would matter if I wasn’t :) ), I’m just an enthusiastic amateur with desktop hardware.

Thanks.... I have ordered one of the Crucual 16GB cards .... should arrive tomorrow.

• Like 1

Card arrived last night. Fitted it after work today. Went OK 👍!

• remove 'lid' of laptop case
  • Remove CD/DVD drive (wasn't expecting that, but it was easy enough)
  • Remove a panel sitting above the card (wasn't expecting that, took a while to figure out how, but then it was easy enough)
  • Swap the card

PC is still working - writing this post on it.

Just opened the DAW and played a track with typical number of tracks, plug-ins etc. Yes, it's got the 16gb and plenty of headroom.

image.png.9f30f950ad5fd72275d648efa16fc306.png 

Thanks everybody!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1