Why become a member? ×

mini pots grrrrr

My 1997 CIJ Fender telecaster thinline ('72 humbucker style) has had crackly pots for as long as I can remember. After putting it off for many years, I've just got around to replacing both pots with new full size 500k log mojotone CTS pots and while I was in there swapped out the socket for a switchcraft. I did consider making a complete new loom, but in the end the switch was okay and it was easier to just swap out the pots and socket. I did have to ream out the pickguard a little to fit the new pots. As I went for solid shaft pots I was able to use proper Fender US knurled barrel knobs in place of the original cheap looking knobs.

The original mini pots are tiny - the smallest I've seen. The diameter is smaller than a 5p piece. The difference to the guitar since replacing them is much better than I had anticipated. Now when I turn the vol or tone knob I don't get a load of snap crackle and pop, and even though I resused the original capacitor the guitar sounds brighter with the tone pot open.

I just don't get why crappy mini pots were used instead of quality ones when it was built. It wouldn't have saved Fendder a lot of money and I'm sure japanese Fenders were not considered a budget range even back in the 90s.

It's not because they're 'Mini' so much as they're cheaper than chips, in fact potato pots might be better. Penny pinching on electrics by most manufacturers is what lets many basses/guitars down, poxy pots, jacks made out of  putty and soldering by '3 year olds', you'd think! Japanese Fenders included.

I've been using Bourns mini pots for a good few years now in most of my replacement looms and they are as good quality and as well made as the benchmark CTS.

Just to set the record straight like 😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've never had any issues with the mini pots that come with EMG pickups, so I should have directed my rant specifically at cheap & nasty mini pots rather than mini pots in general.

I've just remembered that I was originally planning to shield the cavities with copper slug tape at the same time as replacing the pots, but totally forgot to do this today , so thats a job for another day.

Just now, Dankology said:

Completely irrelevant to your issue but I wanted to say that the Japanese 72 thinline is one of my permanent Ebay searches... Do you happen to have any thoughts on it versus the more common Mex versions?

Apart from the pots and output socket its very well put together. I have never tried the MiM version, so I can't compare the two versions, but Fender Mexico makes some great instruments these days - My favourite bass for recording is my JMJ mustang which is MiM.

I don't know how closely the CiJ or the MiM thinlines replicate the tone of a vintage '72 as the 'wide range' humbuckers don't use the CuNiFe magnets of the originals. Mine seems to have more top end available than I'd usually expect from a bridge humbucker though.

• Like 1