Why become a member? ×

Yamaha mods

trim

Hi! 

Does anyone had modified the TRB 1005J? 

I was wondering how it would go with some single coils jazz bass type pickups.. 

Passive, New preamp, other pickups, jazz, precision, anything.. 

Please, tell me your experiences. 

Regards, 

Nuno

Hi! 

I really like Yamaha's basses, actually i am endorsed by Yamaha. 

I love the measures /comfort /constriction on trb's. I had and still have many trb's, bb's and the bbne2 is my main bass right now. 

This is a project. 

Actually 2 projects. 

The first is for my trb 1004j that i made it on fretles but it's needing more growling and I'm thinking about running it passive, just not sure about J/J or P/J. 

Second project is for a fretted 1005j that I would like it to sound not so mid /treble and also give it a killer slap sound. 

I already have and play a fender jazz, but i rather the trb radius and overall feel. 

I'm not familiar to the various on board pre-amps out there, and that 's the reason for this post. 

I've read that John East works fine but never tried out, and I was wheeling to ear more experiences. 

5 hours ago, trim said:

Second project is for a fretted 1005j that I would like it to sound not so mid /treble and also give it a killer slap sound. 

This can mean different things to different people, but here's what I would consider: I would go very basic, and go for passive Jazz Bass pickups and a simple 2-band EQ plus a passive tone control to roll off sharp highs. I would look closely at the center frequencies of the EQ controls though. Something like an Aguilar OBP-1 has the bass pot centered at 40 Hz and I hate it, because it only boosts the sub lows and adds low-end rumble but also a lot of mud. I have an OBP-3 in a custom 5-string and it's a great pre, but I rarely touch the bass control for that reason. I quite like the MEC preamp in my Warwicks because the bass control is centered at 100 Hz with a fairly broad range, and also adds a slight bit of low mids and punch. It works well to add warmth and punch for a great slap tone. That bass boost plus a treble roll off gives a huge range of tones, and will get you all the traditional Jazz Bass tones plus a modern active slap tone and everything in between. 

I have owned two TRB5II's by the way, so I know these basses well and they are indeed very good! I loved the neck profile, the tones and the looks, but I didn't love the feel of a 35" scale. The stock preamp was good and flexible, but the EQ controls were fairly subtle to my ear. 

Edited by LeftyJ

5 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

This can mean different things to different people, but here's what I would consider: I would go very basic, and go for passive Jazz Bass pickups and a simple 2-band EQ plus a passive tone control to roll off sharp highs. I would look closely at the center frequencies of the EQ controls though. Something like an Aguilar OBP-1 has the bass pot centered at 40 Hz and I hate it, because it only boosts the sub lows and adds low-end rumble but also a lot of mud. I have an OBP-3 in a custom 5-string and it's a great pre, but I rarely touch the bass control for that reason. I quite like the MEC preamp in my Warwicks because the bass control is centered at 100 Hz with a fairly broad range, and also adds a slight bit of low mids and punch. It works well to add warmth and punch for a great slap tone. That bass boost plus a treble roll off gives a huge range of tones, and will get you all the traditional Jazz Bass tones plus a modern active slap tone and everything in between. 

Thks! 

That helped. 

Single are on top of the list, and also a tone control. 

I probably will start running it passive with a couple of J's