Why become a member? Ɨ

New Preamp Pedal Day - Ampeg SCR-DI

Lozz196

Ok, Iā€™ve had one of these before, but back then the sound I wanted I couldnā€™t coax from it, ie the Sansamp sound. This time round however I need a more generic bass sound with a bit of drive for classic rock tones, a sit in the mix type of sound.
Iā€™ve been on a quest for a while and got near to what Iā€™m after but never exactly there until today. Previously Iā€™ve found that either the bass is just too much, the treble isnā€™t in the right frequency, the drive just too harsh, or the pedal needs a PSU.

But the SCR-DI is right on every aspect. Iā€™m really glad I decided to take a punt on one of these again.Ā 
Ā 

• Like 3

That is my only concern Dan, itā€™s a large and weighty beast but luckily Iā€™ve had a tinker around this morning and can pretty much get the same sound from my Sansamp BDDI v2, so Iā€™ll use the SCR-DI at home and the Sansamp for gigs. A real ear opener for me though, for years Iā€™ve been all about the Sansamp sound whereas it seems Iā€™m now more about a more natural amp sound.Ā 

I liked the Ampeg Di a lot itā€™s a great pedal and definitely has the Ampeg tone.Ā 
Ā 

Mine was used briefly in front of my RM800 headĀ 

Ā 

Eventually I sent it back as for near Ā£200 it was a luxury I didnā€™t really need. I tried several well known Preamp pedals but the Ampeg was the nicest for me and rockĀ 

• 2 weeks later...

I use it so Iā€™m getting all the eq from the pedal, so

Ā 

Ultra Low In

Ultra High In

Bass 12 oā€™clockĀ 

Mid 12 o'clock

Treble 11 oā€™clockĀ 

Drive 1 oā€™clockĀ 

Blend 9 oā€™clockĀ 

Ā 

Iā€™d say from your pick-tone thread that probably best to leave all the eq flat if just using the pedal as an always on drive. I really like the drive on this pedal, to me itā€™s strength is the ā€œadd a touch of break-upā€ to the sound that in the mix wonā€™t be heard but just smooths the notes out a touch. Much like the isolated bass tracks that sound gainy & rattly on their own but sit so well in with the rest of the recording.

Ā 

29 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I use it so Iā€™m getting all the eq from the pedal, so

Ā 

Ultra Low In

Ultra High In

Bass 12 oā€™clockĀ 

Mid 12 o'clock

Treble 11 oā€™clockĀ 

Drive 1 oā€™clockĀ 

Blend 9 oā€™clockĀ 

Ā 

Iā€™d say from your pick-tone thread that probably best to leave all the eq flat if just using the pedal as an always on drive. I really like the drive on this pedal, to me itā€™s strength is the ā€œadd a touch of break-upā€ to the sound that in the mix wonā€™t be heard but just smooths the notes out a touch. Much like the isolated bass tracks that sound gainy & rattly on their own but sit so well in with the rest of the recording.

Ā 

I will give them a go šŸ¤Ÿ

Ok tried the Ampeg SCR-DI and itā€™s very nice, I like it.

Ā 

Tried it with Ampeg Opto Compressor in front and after and it sounds better with compressor after especially as I use my compressor to tame the input into the ABM600Ā 

Ā 

Will be fitting on to my Pedaltrain so Iā€™ve removed the rubber feet screws and replaced with flush screws.Ā 
Hadnt considered the access to the DI connection ( for occasional use perhaps ) so I will space them apart.Ā 
Ā 

Dual lock on its way so I can make a good job of it.

Ā 

The tone / EQ ( pretty much as suggested ) sounds very much like AmpegĀ 

The depth of sound with Ultra Low in sounds full and good with a pick more so than the Shape ON sound on the ABM head.

I can now use both the ABM600 and my Orange LBT and still sound the same !!Ā 
Highly recommended pedal and less than buying an Ampeg amp !Ā 

On 17/03/2022 at 17:07, BassAdder27 said:

Ok tried the Ampeg SCR-DI and itā€™s very nice, I like it.

Ā 

Tried it with Ampeg Opto Compressor in front and after and it sounds better with compressor after especially as I use my compressor to tame the input into the ABM600Ā 

Ā 

Will be fitting on to my Pedaltrain so Iā€™ve removed the rubber feet screws and replaced with flush screws.Ā 
Hadnt considered the access to the DI connection ( for occasional use perhaps ) so I will space them apart.Ā 
Ā 

Dual lock on its way so I can make a good job of it.

Ā 

The tone / EQ ( pretty much as suggested ) sounds very much like AmpegĀ 

The depth of sound with Ultra Low in sounds full and good with a pick more so than the Shape ON sound on the ABM head.

I can now use both the ABM600 and my Orange LBT and still sound the same !!Ā 
Highly recommended pedal and less than buying an Ampeg amp !Ā 

What screws did you use Martin, and where did you get them, as I think Iā€™m going to do the same?

47 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

What screws did you use Martin, and where did you get them, as I think Iā€™m going to do the same?

A search showed they were an imperial screw thread. I had a selection of short metric screws ( m4 ??? ) and the tapped holes are deeper than the rubber feet threads so my longer screws still worked.

They appeared to screw in fine so the threads were a close match and after I unscrewed one to try the rubber foot again it screwed in again fine.Ā 
Give my a day or so and I will check and confirm the threads I used were m4Ā 

Edited by BassAdder27

Yep they do appear to be 8-32 UNC which nearly is a match with an m4 screw, definitely works so threads must be close enough.Ā 

I think m4 is a common screw thread such as kitchen handle screws etc as example.

Ideally you need it to be around 10mm longĀ 

Iā€™ve now fitted mine using Velcro on to my Pedaltrain Metro, did consider 3M dual lock but that stuff is hard moving pedals again so used 50mm wide Velcro šŸ‘

Edited by BassAdder27

41481B7F-B081-432F-BEA9-8394A38F42C9.thumb.jpeg.690cddd3a1709212795487dafcbddc33.jpeg9F6232DB-6C7B-446D-AC91-825D8F28C835.thumb.jpeg.37275cc8002ee53fb828f90af5beb49f.jpegMine fitted to Pedaltrain Metro 16Ā 

Ā 

As I play with a pick I use Ultra Low in and run my ABM flatĀ 

Itā€™s my always on sound and I can add a tiny touch of drive using scrambler.

The Compressor keeps everything in check so Iā€™m not overdriving the SCR input of the ABM amp input.

Ā 

Note this tone wasnā€™t achievable using the ABM EQ alone so Iā€™m pleased of the resultĀ 

Still got room to add a pedal tuner before the Opto Compressor but havenā€™t sorted that yetĀ 

Edited by BassAdder27

Decided to flip the compressor the other side of the SCR - DIĀ 

Im only using the compressor as a limiter and I think it works better after the preamp instead of before itĀ 

Ā 

Great sounding pedal and liking the Ultra Low with some added mids put back in to balance things nicelyĀ 

On 21/03/2022 at 21:51, BassAdder27 said:

Yep they do appear to be 8-32 UNC which nearly is a match with an m4 screw, definitely works so threads must be close enough.Ā 

I think m4 is a common screw thread such as kitchen handle screws etc as example.

Ideally you need it to be around 10mm longĀ 

Iā€™ve now fitted mine using Velcro on to my Pedaltrain Metro, did consider 3M dual lock but that stuff is hard moving pedals again so used 50mm wide Velcro šŸ‘

M4s worked a treat šŸ˜€