Why become a member? ×

Source Audio Pedals with Neuro Hub and MC6 ... advice on management of presets and scenes

Gramski

Hi All

I'm looking for some advice on ways to manage the Source Audio pedal presets \ Neuro hub scenes \ MIDI controller (MC6). The pedals I have are the UltraWave Bass and the Gemini Chorus but I want to start to get organised for potentially adding a Collider and other pedals later.

At the moment I have the Ultrawave and Gemini connected to the Neuro Hub and use the Neuro Desktop App to create scenes. I then call the scenes from the MC6. That would be great but the Ultrawave only has minimal configuration options via the hub so I’ve also got the Ultrawave connected to the Neuro Desktop so that I can create an Ultrawave preset and add it into a Neuro Hub scene all within the Neuro Desktop editor.

SourceAudio.png.39bee2e30d22f35f00554f8e3c45a494.png

What alternative workflows do others use for managing presets and scenes?  E.g. are there advantages to using the Neuro Hub just to hold presets for the Gemini (so that I can have more than 6) and then to use the MC6 to make a MIDI call to the:

• UltraWave (MIDI CC 104 recall preset #)
  • And Gemini (MIDI PC scene # via the neuro hub)?

I'm trying to future proof my way of organising the presets and scenes in preparation for any future source audio pedal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions \ help

Graham

Answered on the TalkBass forum ...  looks like I'll keep using the way I do with scenes via the hub.

As a quick add - I've collected the assorted Source Audio pedals from Andertons, Bass Direct and ThorpyFX over the last few months and had great service from all of them. A slight issue (missing cable) on the Gemini was sorted by Bass Direct \ Source Audio rep in the UK with no fuss \ hassle.

Edited by Gramski
Add vendor comments
  • Like 1

Yep - it'll take me a little figuring out to see how I want to work with this. What I'm doing at the moment and seems to work is:

• Connect the Gemini to the Neuro Hub
  • Connect the Ultrawave to the Neuro Hub
  • Connect the Ultrawave directly to my computer (USB)
  • Use the Desktop editor to create a scene in the Neuro Hub that has a preset from the Ultrawave e.g. preset 120
    • Edit the Ultrawave preset (preset 120 from my example above) from the direct connection so that I have full edit capabilities. Save any changes to the Ultrawave preset 120 and refresh the Desktop editor connection to the Neuro Hub. This appears to pick up the changes to the Ultrawave preset.
    • Comfigure the Gemini from the Neuro Hub connection (which I have to as there is no way to call the Gemini pedal presets through the hub).

Hope the above makes sense .. as I say it seems to work ...  but it may be luck or ignorance or both on my part.

Another option I am considering is to remove the Ultrwave completely from the Neuro Hub and use the MC6 to create MC6 presets that combine an Ultrawave pedal preset (called via MIDI CC) with a Neuro Hub scene (called via MIDI PC) ... urrghhh .. my brain starts to hurt!

It would be great to hear how others use these pedals.

Hang on, I'm very slow...is the essence here that you can have the Ultrawave connected to the hub with the other SA pedals, the hub connected to the software on the pc and at the same time have the Ultrawave connected to the software on the pc?

If so I've never tried this and am becoming excited 😯🤯

Nope. Just spent another frustrating hour failing to control the individual pedals, the hub and my midi controller.

I honestly think I'll never crack it. Such amazing pedals and I can't get any useable sounds out of any of them.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for not replying sooner; somehow I missed your posts . But yes to the following. 

On 08/03/2022 at 17:14, stewblack said:

Hang on, I'm very slow...is the essence here that you can have the Ultrawave connected to the hub with the other SA pedals, the hub connected to the software on the pc and at the same time have the Ultrawave connected to the software on the pc?

If so I've never tried this and am becoming excited 😯🤯

I’ve got a block of presets on the hub which include the UW + Gemini which are for my most used combined presets.

But for noodling I have a block of Gemini presets on the hub (no UW included) and a block of presets on the UW and I can quickly mix and match different UW and Gemini presets via the software on the pc. I can do some screenshots if it helps.

45 minutes ago, Gramski said:

. I can do some screenshots if it helps.

That's really kind. I wish someone would do YouTube videos I learn best that way but anything visual is helpful. 

Otherwise I've a really expensive high quality pedal board sat doing literally nothing!

I don't know if this is a good way of working with the Source Audio pedals and hub ... it sort of works for me although I have done a few factory resets along the way to try things out in different ways. It would be great to hear from others on how they work with Source Audio pedals; GMC on TalkBass has been a great help. Also; as I've typed this up it really does reinforce that a "Picture paints a thousand words" ... I'll give this a go but if it is as clear as mud then I'll look to do something more structured when I have a moment.

Top left of screenshot - I have the UW attach ed directly to the software with a set of presets. You see all the UW configuration settings here including the current bug which intermittently means my compression graph is blank. I'll call these pedal presets as they can only be for the UW pedal.

UWDirect.thumb.png.75182bfe3a0d658126beb24d15f98074.png

Next down on the left you see the Neuro Hub with listed with both the same UW and a Gemini shown as connected devices - I have the Gemini and UW attached to the software via the hub. So the UW is connected twice to the software; once directly and once via the hub. The screenshot Hub_Gemini shows a collection of Gemini presets which don't have the UW included.

Hub_Gemini.thumb.png.336f3462e387dd7bff7e87b097e2c524.png

In the Neuro Desktop software I can select a Gemini preset from the Neuro Hub and then an UW preset from the device and mix and match to see what I like. They don't override each other as each preset is for a specific pedal. I also have a preset with the UW bypassed and another with the Gemini bypassed so I can quickly turn one or both off.

When I find something I like I then build the combined UW + Gemini scene on the hub - screenshot Combined.

Combined.thumb.png.7ea9c6898947f8c72ebb5e25d75e7a74.png

If I feel it still needs some tweaking then I can change the Gemini settings directly in the Hub section.

ConfigureGeminiInCombinedScene.thumb.png.297e289291c38b905286f32e112d614a.png

And I can change the UW settings by checking the pedal preset number (in this case 17) and going back to the UW and tweaking and saving the settings on preset 17.

ConfigureUWCombinedScene.thumb.png.e6404e34337b1cb9fe3344081406b084.png

Reading it back it does sound very complicated ... but I've got used to the workflow now.

I don't tend to use the 6 presets on each pedal at the moment as I've a memory like a sieve. I do have a Morningstar MC6 with names against the presets that I can identify so I can mix and match without the software as long as the presets have been stored on the UW \ Hub and mapped to the MC6.

It is a little convoluted but it works for me as I'm still a newbie trying to figure out what I like \ don't like and what I need to keep and what I can discard so I'd envisage doing some more factory resets as I go along. The aim is to get a set of sounds that I like for the sets that I'm learning with a couple of guitarists.

Hope it helps and hopefully others can chip in with how to improve the workflow. I'm happy if someone shows me a better way even if it means I start again from scratch. The joys of retirement mean I have to try and learn this stuff and figure out scenes without buying anymore pedals ... though the collder looks like it could fill a gap on the pedal board.

IGNORE BELOW - there seems to be some duplication of the screenshots. I'll go back and look to delete these when I have a moment.

UWDirect.png

Hub_Gemini.png

Combined.png

ConfigureGeminiInCombinedScene.png

Edited by Gramski
Removing duplicate screenshots

I wouldn't call it a tutorial; just how I use them. I'd love to find more efficient ways and GMC and Derek on TalkBass certainly have given me ideas for how to configure it all longer term when I get to know the presets better and I'm also better able to create my own sound.

If you have any questions then fire away and I'll try and help as best I can.

• Thanks 1

I went down the whole Source Audio and Hub route. I found the best way to deal with the setup was to sell it. Now I'm back to pedals where the only interface is actual knobs and I don't want to use my laptop as a frisby anymore.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Boodang said:

I went down the whole Source Audio and Hub route. I found the best way to deal with the setup was to sell it. Now I'm back to pedals where the only interface is actual knobs and I don't want to use my laptop as a frisby anymore.  

I understand where you are coming from but I actually enjoy it; I can use them as "knobs only" and even change what the knobs control or I can allow my inner geek to run wild and tweak a million and one settings from software.

As a retired software engineer it keeps me off the streets ..... although in in hindsight I do need to get out more.

15 hours ago, Boodang said:

I am always quite close to this!