Why become a member? ×

Bitsa relic - boredom is a harsh mistress

Bassfinger

This was a bit of spur of the moment project after realising, as many of us often do, that I had almost enough randon parts laying around to make an entire bass. Aside from the PB headstock decal, neck plate, pickup and strings, all the parts used were left overs from previous builds and upgrades.

Neck from a seller in Ireland some years ago. I suspect Chinese in origin, but its not bad at all for all that. Boot polish used to very convincingly dirty up the playing area at the rear, then given a slight amber aged look with much Danish Oil.

Very cheapo tuners from an old upgrade elsewhere. They actually work ok and hold tune well, but they do look cheap. This is the one item I may yet upgrade to better items.

Gear4Music ash body from a project that never got finished.  Very, very nice, if somewhat hefty.

Warman pickup - inexpensive high performance.

Wilkinson bridge. Would have preferred nickel, but I had a chrome one in the box, and after a bit if dulling down looked acceptable.

Pickguard from my collection.

The poly on the body is very high quality, very smooth, deep and tough.  If you're thinking of a Gear4Music body you have my highest recommendations.  It was a bar steward to even scratch!  I threw bunches of keys at it, sanded and gouged thorugh it, and used a schotchbrite pad to laboriously dull the finish down convincingly. For poly I've achieved a halfway decent aged and knackered look.  Black Buck furniture wax used to darken the exposed wood scars and worked deepcinto the scratches tomsimulate grime and dirt, helped in with careful use of a Zippo.  The final finish is a lot more dull and tired looking than it appears in the photos.

Pickguard aged with the scotchbrite pad and the wax dye used in strategic places to age it. That doesn't show up on the pitcures vey well.

All chrome attacked with 800 grit wet and dry to remove the shine, and at strategic points rubbed through to the copper base plating beneath.  Scotchbrite pad then used to remove the scratches and really dull it down.  Everything  soaked in salty water for several days which further dulled it and darkened the copper so it didn't look fresh. To my mind the chrome hardware and necks let down a lot of relics so I put a lot of effort into these. I even went as far as ageing the control knobs.

Random stickers.

Can't remember the make of the pots and jacks but very high quality items that have been through several projects now.

All set up and settled in after the last few days.  It looks like it's been used hard but not overly abused, and plays very nicely indeed.

I hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I do playing it.

Edited by Bassfinger
I fell in love