Why become a member? ×

String sympathetic vibrations while bowing: feature of string?

chyc

I've been trawling through the interwebs for hive mind opinion on this and surprisingly have come back with very little information.

I've just swapped strings on my bass. By and large I'm a happy customer, but one thing is really off-putting and I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not. When for example I bow a G on the D string, the G vibrates in sympathy. Now I know this happens on all strings but on these it's really, really sensitive and is very loud, and happens even when I'm playing the G in passing. I've seen posts say this is just a property of the bass, but none saying it's a property of the string. Is it so? It happens on all resonances and harmonics, with the fundamental being really rather obnoxious. It happens when plucking, but with various subconcious muting techniques I can keep it under control.

Am I imagining it, or could it be just buyer's remorse? Changing back is a possibility but rather a bigger deal than an electric so I thought I'd ask here for advice. Could a type of strings make it a problem? Can I fix it because other than this I'm happy with the sound?

Now you may ask what strings I have on the bass. This is a point of contention as I'm not sure the strings I bought are the ones I received. However I believe the seller sold them in good faith and it's not like I particularly wanted the ones I bought: I'm just messing around trying to find the sound I want. I *think* they are Helicore Hybrids.