Why become a member? ×

My new old Mustang

Greene-Mann

Hey guys wondering if you could help me out here, i recently got hold of a 1971 Fender mustang bass, all electronics work fine, and amazingly its still got the string mute bracket on it! (most ive seen have them removed) but over the years its been abused immensely, the string ferrules have been knocked out and the nuts been removed....but worst of all some B*****d has removed the string post & cog-like-bit (someone please imform me of the technical term) from one of the machine heads! ..... anyone got any ideas where i could either get a single one of these seeminly impossible to find (or when you do people want an arm and a leg for the set) machine heads, or even easier for me a string post and "cog" that would fit properly into the machine head...i've tried the cog bit from a schaller BM but the teeth arent long enough therefore make that horrible scraping noise...
Bass Doc Sorted out the part for me...

Edited by Greene-Mann

I have no idea where you might find the spare bit you need, but i'm pretty sure you can buy retrofit tuners for them, they look the same as the ones on the geddy lee to me. Is the mustand jap made? You don't need to buy a hipshot extended (though if you wanted to buy one for the E string and put the E string tuner where the G string one should have been, that would work too). [url="http://bass-machine-heads.com/hp135295/BMFL-Series.htm?ITServ=CYea4399bX12082bf664dX2c03"]This[/url] schaller one looks like it would fit.

I've looked for retro-fits and cant find any for these specifically... :rolleyes: its an old american one, made 17th march '71 not a reissue :D ....sadly however the g-lee style ones are shaped like the ones used on Fenders after 1974...these style ones (although similar shaped) have totally different dimentions (see pics & i measured up dimenions)...bit of a bar steward really :) cheers for the input though

(left my mustang, right a 70's jazz bass, same style as Geddy's)

Edited by Greene-Mann

I should be able to help - it looks like you will need the string post, cog, washer and bolt. These are the same dimensions as the early 70s full size ones Fender fitted to Ps & Js - only the backplate and worm/key were larger. I wouldn't charge an arm and a leg (I could do with a new wrist and a couple of fingers but that's another story).

Price would be £18 posted - PM me with your address if acceptable.

[quote name='Greene-Mann' post='457154' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:39 AM']Sounds like a cool idea, however can you send me some pics and the dimensions so i can double check they'll be ok before i buy?[/quote]

As mentioned in my PM the fit can be guaranteed as I have an early 70s Mustang in the workshop at the moment and have tried the swap and it works - buy with confidence - 'Forty years of Fiddling with Fenders' (any more Fs we could fit in?)