Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender precision

shoulderpet

On 11/01/2022 at 13:48, gareth said:

These basses and their predecessors, the classic series, are absolute bargains

i like American vintage reissues and the new original series but to be honest they are twice the price but not twice as good 

Agreed. I have a Classic 50s in black from when they first produced them. Changed the pick guard due to feel (personal preference) and this is the best Precision I have owned or played, and there have been a lot! Main pros are the light weight, wide but quite flat neck, ridiculously low fast action with no fret buzz and a wonderful p bass resonance that I haven’t found in many others - new, old, expensive or cheap!

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so some follow up thoughts on this bass now I have had it for a bit, still very impressed but thought I would post a follow up, also I initially thought this was a Vintera but I suspect it might be a classic 50's 

Pros:

Construction is top notch, no issues with the build on this at all

Looks, this bass is a stunner for sure, also nice to have a maple fretboard and a gloss neck instead of the satin finish that I dislike in modern basses

Action, the action on this is low and it plays like a dream

Neck, a lot of P basses now have 40 or 41mm nut width, this is around 45mm which is lovely and chunky

Tuners, I know some people may not give a stuff about the tuners but a lot of cheaper Fenders have really sloppy tuners, these are perfect, I have counted the teeth on the gears but I suspect that these are 25:1 ration, no slop in these at all

Tone, I swapped out the pickup on mine because I wanted a more rock tone but the stock pickup in this is great and it sounds great accoustically

Cons:

Heel access truss rod, I mean come on Fender what the hell, I even took the pickguard  off and check if the access to the truss rod was any better but it wasn't so if you are changing the strings and you go heavier then you will need to take off the neck to adjust the truss rod, check the relief and then repeat if you got the adjustment wrong the first time, could Fender have not routed the body with a rout to get to the truss rod?

Anodized pickguard, this something that I love and hate in equal measures, it does look awesome but I took the pickguard off to swap out the pickups and ended up cutting my finger open on the edges of the pickguard, yowzers!!!  I then found that Fender had cut the pickguard dimensions super tight and it took about 4 attempts before the pickguard actually went back on properly, it was actually easier fitting the pickups than putting the pickguard back on

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Ok so some follow up thoughts on this bass now I have had it for a bit, still very impressed but thought I would post a follow up, also I initially thought this was a Vintera but I suspect it might be a classic 50's 

Pros:

Construction is top notch, no issues with the build on this at all

Looks, this bass is a stunner for sure, also nice to have a maple fretboard and a gloss neck instead of the satin finish that I dislike in modern basses

Action, the action on this is low and it plays like a dream

Neck, a lot of P basses now have 40 or 41mm nut width, this is around 45mm which is lovely and chunky

Tuners, I know some people may not give a stuff about the tuners but a lot of cheaper Fenders have really sloppy tuners, these are perfect, I have counted the teeth on the gears but I suspect that these are 25:1 ration, no slop in these at all

Tone, I swapped out the pickup on mine because I wanted a more rock tone but the stock pickup in this is great and it sounds great accoustically

Cons:

Heel access truss rod, I mean come on Fender what the hell, I even took the pickguard  off and check if the access to the truss rod was any better but it wasn't so if you are changing the strings and you go heavier then you will need to take off the neck to adjust the truss rod, check the relief and then repeat if you got the adjustment wrong the first time, could Fender have not routed the body with a rout to get to the truss rod?

Anodized pickguard, this something that I love and hate in equal measures, it does look awesome but I took the pickguard off to swap out the pickups and ended up cutting my finger open on the edges of the pickguard, yowzers!!!  I then found that Fender had cut the pickguard dimensions super tight and it took about 4 attempts before the pickguard actually went back on properly, it was actually easier fitting the pickups than putting the pickguard back on

When I had on of those I a tech add a notch in the body (expanded what was there) and a corresponding notch in the guard. Made life much better for adjustments. Great basses and much underrated. I only sold it because the neck width started to irritate my hand.