Why become a member? ×

Build question - Bass Necks

Rick05

Hi,

im looking at ordering a bass and looking at the possible combinations for neck and fretboard woods.

i currently have a Dingwall with maple neck and maple fretboard but I love the feel of wenge necks and the more rounded sound they give. Iv also seen some really nice fretboards in birdseye maple so wanted to combine the two. So I wondered if anyone had experience with a bass with wenge neck and maple fretboard?

iv not come across many and wondered if there was a reason for this and if the combination isn’t recommended.

thanks for reading this.

Rick

If you like the feel of wenge and the aesthetics of maple then go for it. Surely it's been done the other way around in the past - wenge board on maple so there shouldn't be any technical reasons why not (say maple and wenge not glueing together well or something)? Sound? I'm not diving into that can of worms. Someone will be along shortly to give their unscientific opinion on that ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

If you like the feel of wenge and the aesthetics of maple then go for it. Surely it's been done the other way around in the past - wenge board on maple so there shouldn't be any technical reasons why not (say maple and wenge not glueing together well or something)? Sound? I'm not diving into that can of worms. Someone will be along shortly to give their unscientific opinion on that ;)

Love it! Thank you! im going to speak to the guys in the factory and see what they think, but it sounds like a match made in heaven for me 

A pal of mine has a Cort Curbow that has a wenge neck and rosewood fretboard and...it's a lovely, lovely neck.

Disadvantages:

- it is a heavy wood...the wood database puts it at 54/44 compared with rock maple and 54/37 compared with mahogany

- from a builder's point of view, it is a challenging wood (certainly out of my league)

But that Curbow was the nicest neck I have EVER played.  Beautiful to look at, smooth as silk and very rigid (which does indeed make a difference when it comes to sound ;) )

And I played it a lot.  The reason was that my mate liked the Curbow, he LOVED the neck...but he didn't like the luthite body (luthite is a man made material).  And so he asked me to make him a walnut replacement body for it. 

This is it with the new walnut body - and the wenge neck:

y4A0iLwl.jpg 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Oh...and there is no technical reason whatsoever why maple shouldn't be used with it... :)

That’s awesome to know, thanks.

Love that finish on the Cort. Looking at pairing the wenge and maple neck with a swamp ash body.

Edited by Rick05

45 minutes ago, Rick05 said:

Update: thanks for all the comments on this. Iv had a talk with the factory and I’m going for a wenge-bubinga neck with birdseye maple fretboard. Really excited to see how it turns out

Sounds very nice :) Looking forward to see the photos

• Thanks 1