Why become a member? ×

GK MB112-II Combo Question

FatDrunkStupid

I've recently puchased a GK MB112-II 200W combo for home recording and practice use and semi-future proof in the sense that if I start gigging again, I can add an matching MBP powered cab for a bit more power. I have a possibly dumb question: There's no master/volume control, just gain and EQ (plus headphones, aux etc.) I'm assuming this means that the amp delivers its full power all the time and the volume control is the bass itself - is this correct? If find this a bit irksome and I'm currently using an Eden WTDI preamp to give me back some amp-end control. Is the correct approach or am I missing something obvious and/or fundamental?

Please bear in mind my "serious" gigging days go back 25+ years when power + clarity = 3 tons of Trace Elliot or Ampeg rig). Well, not quite but definitely pre-class D days and I've had a long layoff. Thanks chaps!

When you add a powered cab to a combo, you drive it from a line out or preamp out of the combo, which means it will be controlled by the gain/volume controls on the combo. As the powered cab does not have its own preamp, it needs a line level signal to drive it. The output from the bass will not be sufficient. According to the manual, the GK MB112-II has a "chain output for use with MBP series", so that's what you should use.

50 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

When you add a powered cab to a combo, you drive it from a line out or preamp out of the combo, which means it will be controlled by the gain/volume controls on the combo. As the powered cab does not have its own preamp, it needs a line level signal to drive it. The output from the bass will not be sufficient. According to the manual, the GK MB112-II has a "chain output for use with MBP series", so that's what you should use.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I get the concept of connecting an external powered cab to the combo but maybe my question wasn't clear (for which I apologise): The MB112 combo itself doesn't have a volume control (and neither does the MBP powered cab based on photos I've seen). It does have gain and EQ - just no master volume. It works as "expected" if I use an external preamp (with a volume control), but if I don't use a preamp, how do I control the combo output? I feel like I'm missing something obvious, perhaps so obvious that my question doesn't make sense and once again, I apologise for my noobish-ness. I'll post a photo when I get chance.

19 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Gain is actually combined gain and master volume, you just turn it up until it is as loud as you need.

This. You don't need a separate master volume. It's useful to have an input gain and separate master volume when you want to control the amount you overdrive the preamp. It's not essential, though, especially in a bass amp, where you won't usually be looking for overdriven/saturated tones. If you do want them, use an external preamp/fx unit.

• Like 1

If you download and read the user manual there is a schematic in there which appears to indicate what you suggested i.e. the "master volume" is missing and effectively full on. Volume will be a combination of bass output, gain and any eq you apply.

• Like 1