Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this double bass?

Chris McG

Hello, I'm new to this site, someone recommended that I use it to try and identify the makers of this old double bass. It was used by a friend's father up until about 1975 when he switched to a Fender Jazz Master. He played in lots of Jazz bands in the UK and won awards in the NME Polls etc. No makers mark of any sort on the bas, no numbers, nothing that gives any clue. 

Any ideas appreciated

Chris. 

[email protected] 

BASS01.jpg

BASS02.jpg

BASS03.jpg

BASS04.jpg

• Like 2

Without a maker’s mark you’ll need to take it to a professional and get them to check it out. 

If you can let us know where you’re based perhaps one of us can recommend someone to take it to or call. It’ll need a full condition assessment in any case to assess value.

What wonderful memories from your dad and a lovely item to have in the family. My grandad left me a silver cigarette case which is certainly easier to carry!

• Like 2

Are you looking to try and sell it?

The crack on the soundpost side is going to be a bit of a job to fix, but standard practice for a decent double bass luthier.

My worry is the discoloration around it. Has a DIY fix been attempted at some point? That might cause more problems than the crack itself.

My guess is a late 19th century German workshop bass, but not a blockless wonder. 

Get it to a luthier for appraisal and a quote on getting it in tip-top playing condition

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Without a maker’s mark you’ll need to take it to a professional and get them to check it out. 

If you can let us know where you’re based perhaps one of us can recommend someone to take it to or call. It’ll need a full condition assessment in any case to assess value.

What wonderful memories from your dad and a lovely item to have in the family. My grandad left me a silver cigarette case which is certainly easier to carry!

Just now, Chris McG said:

Hello and many thanks for your comments. I'm based in Lichfield, Staffordshire. I just want to understand the history of the bass, where it might have been made and have it dated. As you can imagine, there is a lot of emotions wrapped up in an item like this and I suppose the ideal thing would be to donate it eventually to a good cause like the Birmingham Conservatoire or some such. There used to be a luthier in Lichfield, I'll check whether he is still around. 

• Like 1