Why become a member? ×

Pick up springs (HELP!)

Cobretti

Hello friends,

I removed the pickguard of a '72 sunburst Mustang bass I recent acquired to look at the pickups. And the springs fell out, leading me to question where they sit in the grand scheme of things. 

A friend explained the starting in the pickup cavity, you have the pickups sat there. Then the plastic pickup covers go on top - so far so good. Then as far as I am aware the springs are to go around the long screws ( used to adjust height) between pickgaurd and the pickup covers.

So tell me this...and excuse my ignorance. How do I reassamble it and put the pickguard back on with screws in the right place? I have tried a few things but they keep falling away. I have no doubt I am a clueless fool, but if anyone can talk me through it or find a youtube clip I would be most grateful!! :)

Thank you.

Are the screws like machine screws - fine thread and the same all the way along, or like wood screws, with a point at the end?

Are the pickup plastic housing or pickup bottoms threaded, or are there little holes in the body of the pickup cavaties?

The former are like Strat pickups, and the most sensible option for a scratch plate, spring goes over the screw between the bottom of the plate and the pickup. Did the pickups come away with the plate?

The latter ala P n J... and goes Body > Spring > Pickup as the scratchplate fits around the pickup mounting lugs.

But... if the pickup winding bobbin is not a snug fit in the cover, you might need a bit of foam in the bottom to keep them together. If like this try building em up with cocktail sticks... then replace each stick in turn with a screw till it bites a bit.. then lower them all a bit in turn...

Edited by PaulThePlug

9 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Are the screws like machine screws - fine thread and the same all the way along, or like wood screws, with a point at the end?

Are the pickup plastic housing or pickup bottoms threaded, or are there little holes in the body of the pickup cavaties?

The former are like Strat pickups and Humbuckers... screw goes between plate n pickup...

Did the pickups come away with the plate?

The latter ala P n J... and goes Body > Spring > Pickup > Scratch Plate...

But... if the pickup winding bobbin is not a snug fit in the cover, you might need a bit of foam in the bottom to keep them together.

Try building em up with cocktail sticks... then replace each stick in turn with a screw till it bites a bit.. then lower them all a bit in turn...

Thanks Paul. The screws are machine style without point at the end. Have taken some pics so you can see...

20211120_131320.jpg

20211120_130309.jpg

20211120_130258.jpg

Yep, screw thru the plate like your first pic... Spring... Pickup Cover (clearance hole), Pickup (threaded hole)... hopefully wires are long enough to assemble then turn over and fit guard...

Put a bit of cardboard across the pickup cavity to hold the pickup up, pickup cover on, then spring, cocktail stick... lower the pick guard over the 4 cocktail sticks, then swap each stick for a screw into the pickup untill it catches a bit, then hook the card rests out...

Edited by PaulThePlug

9 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Yep, screw thru the plate like your first pic... Spring... Pickup Cover (clearance hole), Pickup (threaded hole)... hopefully wires are long enough to assemble then turn over and fit guard...

Put a bit of cardboard across the pickup cavity to hold the pickup up, pickup cover on, then spring, cocktail stick... lower the pick guard over the 4 cocktail sticks, then swap each stick for a screw into the pickup untill it catches a bit, then hook the card rests out...

Thanks so much Paul!!