Why become a member? ×

Good deal or not?

vmaxblues

Hi guys,

I have recently had a hankering for a vintage P bass, and have been looking at whats around.

Anyway, there is a chance I can swap a Warwick Dolphin thruneck 4 string for one, now on the surface of it, the Warwick is worth more, but I am very tempted.

Any views on this?

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='452146' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:02 AM']Hi guys,

I have recently had a hankering for a vintage P bass, and have been looking at whats around.

Anyway, there is a chance I can swap a Warwick Dolphin thruneck 4 string for one, now on the surface of it, the Warwick is worth more, but I am very tempted.

Any views on this?[/quote]

I think the Dolphins may be a special case but, from a purely financial perspective, all other Warwicks seem to be plummeting in value where as a vintage P (if it is a good one) will always be worth a lot.

I have done the deal, and am now the owner of a red 79 precision (previously owned by musical youth), in need of a couple of replacement bolts for the machineheads, other than that it is in good shape and very playable.

The only other little thing is the white scratchplate has a little bit missing by the input jack.

My temptation is to put a new scratchplate on but keep the old one and replace but keep the scratchplate screws which are a little rusty.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Rich,

Yes the original plate looks ok and aged, but I am tempted to try a tortoiseshell one.

Will put some pics up when i get it.

Guess I should talk to Beedster as the resident vintage fender guru too!

Cheers

Stuart

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='452347' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:51 PM']I have done the deal, and am now the owner of a red 79 precision (previously owned by musical youth), in need of a couple of replacement bolts for the machineheads, other than that it is in good shape and very playable.

The only other little thing is the white scratchplate has a little bit missing by the input jack.

My temptation is to put a new scratchplate on but keep the old one and replace but keep the scratchplate screws which are a little rusty.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote]

Ah yeah I saw that somewhere .. Good looking bass. I'd not change a thing. Just play and enjoy the mojo.
Whatever you do, if you do replace bits, keep all the original stuff together .. a genuine scratchplate screw from the right year will probably cost you about £10 if you loose one ...