Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Handmade Electro-Acoustic.
£250
Hampshire

This guitar is a genuinely hand-made instrument.

The story behind it is that I was living in Vietnam a few years ago and was minus my guitar. I found a luthier who could make one to my specifications and was genuinely stunned by the quality of workmanship and sound.

I then went rather silly and designed and bought several fantastic guitars from him as they were extremely cheap compared with the ones I could get made in the UK or USA. Just one guy made the whole guitar, the only thing he didn't do was provide the finish which in this case is matt.

This particular guitar was lent to a top British blues guitarist for a tour. He decided that he preferred the guitars he already owned, so it came back to me and I used it for several years. I had fitted a Takamine CT4B-II Active Preamp with a Fishman under saddle pick-up for him. 

It has all solid mahogany back and sides with a solid spruce top, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The bridge and pins are ebony with a bone nut and saddle. It is now nearly 20 years old, so the wood has matured nicely. The inlays are Abalone, not Mother of Pearl and the machine heads are Grover.

Many professional players played my guitars and the overwhelming opinion was that they sounded as good or better than instruments with famous names on the headstock. My advice is to listen with your ears, rather than your eyes. 

I still gig three of these guitars in various guises today. 

Now, the sad news. The neck has developed a slight twist. For me it's still very playable, but it's only fair to point this out before you consider buying. A luthier may well be able to correct it, I've not made any enquiries. I've tried to show this in the photos. There is a slight marking on the back where I've played it. This is just superficial and in the photos, I seemed to have made it look worse than it really is.

I sold several similar guitars for £699, without the electrics. 

It's now time to part company and I'd like to think the next owner will own it for a similar amount of time.

I'm happy for you to come and try it, but you'd need to bring an amp to check out the electrics.

I'd be willing to travel a reasonable distance if it helps and it will have to be cash on collection.

I can provide an independent review of a similar guitar if you're seriously interested in buying.  

Edited by The Saint