Why become a member? ×

Mighty Mite Neck

Mr.T

Just received delivery of my Mighty Mite neck.

It looks a bit pasty and I would prefer a darker, more vintage (yellowy) kind of colour.... although still a satin finish.
What oil could I use to achieve this?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, I have been using Status Graphite basses for the past 20 years (and a can of Mr. Sheen).

[quote name='Mr.T' post='450494' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:35 PM']Just received delivery of my Mighty Mite neck.

It looks a bit pasty and I would prefer a darker, more vintage (yellowy) kind of colour.... although still a satin finish.
What oil could I use to achieve this?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, I have been using Status Graphite basses for the past 20 years (and a can of Mr. Sheen).[/quote]

First question, is it already lacquered or naked wood?

If its naked, you can get lacquers with a vintage tint and can cut them with thinners to make them satin rather than gloss finish. Alternatively, you could oil the neck, but personally I don't like the feel of oiled wood.

If the neck is already lacquered then you are going to have to get all that off before oiling/re-lacquering.

Sorry, I wasn't that specific was I?

The neck is maple with a maple board and looks/feels like naked wood, although I think it is sealed with a thin satin finish of some kind.
I would like a satin finish similar to that on my Squier VM Jazz... but a bit darker.
Definately not a heavy type lacquer.

The Mighty Mites are usually supplied with a satin sealer coat. You could get a stain to yellow this - a little colron antique pine stain rubbed in with a cloth, then Tru-Oil over the top once its all dried? 3 or 4 very light coats then buff when fully dry with a fine scotchbrite pad gives a lovely velvet-smooth neck feel.