Why become a member? ×

Pickup cover bodge job help

alexa3020

A few years ago I replaced the standard pickups in my jazz bass with Aguilar 4j-hc pickups. The pickup covers have cracked beyond repair so I replaced them with what I assumed were identical covers.

unfortunately the hole spacing is ever so slightly different (different enough that the poles didn’t line up with the holes). To get over this issue, I opened up the holes on the covers by roughly 0.5mm. 
Now I have gaps between the holes and poles. I doubt this will affect performance (correct me if I’m wrong), I’m sure it will act as a dirt trap. Should I try and plug the gaps? If so what material should I use?

Alternatively I could go on the hunt for the correct covers, which proved a little difficult last time I tried

many thanks.

Since they pot pickups with wax (I think a mix of mostly paraffin wax & some less brittle wax like beeswax, I recall hearing), would you consider sealing it with a tiny drop or two of melted wax? They leave pickups sitting in it till all the air bubbles come out so it shouldn't harm anything.

Might make a bit of a mess, but it should stop dust or grit from getting into the pickup. I don't think that should create issues anyway, but if it helps you feel better to seal it, feel free.

If the covers look OK, and don't interfere with playing, I wouldn't bother switching them unless I was changing colour or going for wooden covers for example.

6 minutes ago, PlungerModerno said:

Since they pot pickups with wax (I think a mix of mostly paraffin wax & some less brittle wax like beeswax, I recall hearing), would you consider sealing it with a tiny drop or two of melted wax? They leave pickups sitting in it till all the air bubbles come out so it shouldn't harm anything.

Might make a bit of a mess, but it should stop dust or grit from getting into the pickup. I don't think that should create issues anyway, but if it helps you feel better to seal it, feel free.

If the covers look OK, and don't interfere with playing, I wouldn't bother switching them unless I was changing colour or going for wooden covers for example.

Good idea. Thanks