Why become a member? ×

Ariane Cap’s Music Theory

GreeneKing

I’ve been working through the early chapters. One assumption that I’ve made for years has been dispelled. 

If I’m playing a fifth up I assumed that fifth down will do too. I suspect that is often the case but I didn’t realise that the intervals from the root are different. This applies to just about all intervals if you choose a different octave. 

I like the book. It’s thorough. I’ve got both her books and I’m learning while enjoying the process. 

Yes,but no,but...

Yes, in that if you play C and go up to G it's a 5th, but if you go down to the lower G it's a 4th.

No, because chords and scales are spelled and counted going up from the root. So in C, G is always classed as the 5th no matter which way you go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doddy said:

Yes,but no,but...

Yes, in that if you play C and go up to G it's a 5th, but if you go down to the lower G it's a 4th.

No, because chords and scales are spelled and counted going up from the root. So in C, G is always classed as the 5th no matter which way you go.

Thank you 😊 

Your last comment is the way I used to understand it. But, as you say the descending interval is a 4th and a 4th sounds slightly different to a fifth. So in terms of the interval being smaller does that alter the overall feel? 

Perhaps a 5th to a 4th isn’t the best example. A major 3rd interval ascending would become a minor 6th interval descending. 

It doesn't really make a difference, because even though the interval has changed, it's function within the chord or scale is the same.

So if we're in C, an E is still functioning as the major 3rd even if you drop down the interval of a minor 6th and play the lower octave.

• Like 1