Why become a member? ×

Ibanez EHB1000S Arrived

Obrienp

Well I have put the D’Addario pro steels on. I am amazed at how easy it was to change the strings. Anyway I kept to the stock hybrid gauge and I am pleased by the tone improvement. It has certainly made the tone less muddy and if anything, there seems to be a less pronounced transition between the bottom and top strings than there was with the standard nickel set. This seems counter intuitive, given that the steels are supposed to be much brighter but I’ll take it. 

Time will tell if this has reprieved the Bartolinis. I have yet to try the new strings in a live set up, or at least an onstage rehearsal. One thing that crossed my mind was that the sound I was getting in rehearsal was very likely  made worse by the rig sitting on a suspended wooden stage floor. I have ordered an Auralex isolator to see if that will get rid of unwanted boominess caused by the stage resonating. A lot of our gigs are in halls on wooden floors or stages, so this will definitely earn its keep.

• 11 months later...

@Obrienp thanks for the review. If it isn't too much trouble, are you able to measure the total length of the bass please?

Does the gig bag add much to the length? 

I'm thinking of using it as a travel bass - hence the questions. 

Thanks in anticipation, 

Simon

1 hour ago, Simon C said:

@Obrienp thanks for the review. If it isn't too much trouble, are you able to measure the total length of the bass please?

Does the gig bag add much to the length? 

I'm thinking of using it as a travel bass - hence the questions. 

Thanks in anticipation, 

Simon

Hi Simon,

I would love to be able to help with that but I no longer have the EHB1000S. I sold it to fund a Nordstrand Acinonyx I had incoming after a long wait. Nothing wrong with the EHB1000S by the way, just trying to operate a one in/one out policy. In the case of the Acinonyx it was two out!

If I remember correctly, the EHB gig bag was guitar sized and amazingly compact. My Les Paul went into it and was a snug enough fit length wise but don’t take my word on it. I am sure there are other owners on this forum who might be able to do a quick measure up. As a travel guitar, I am not sure it would be compact enough for most airlines to let you put it in an overhead locker but it is a while since I tried that, so maybe rules have changed. Have you considered the Hofner shortie, or one of those purpose made travel basses?

Good luck with your search!

Pat

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Hi Simon,

I would love to be able to help with that but I no longer have the EHB1000S. I sold it to fund a Nordstrand Acinonyx I had incoming after a long wait. Nothing wrong with the EHB1000S by the way, just trying to operate a one in/one out policy. In the case of the Acinonyx it was two out!

If I remember correctly, the EHB gig bag was guitar sized and amazingly compact. My Les Paul went into it and was a snug enough fit length wise but don’t take my word on it. I am sure there are other owners on this forum who might be able to do a quick measure up. As a travel guitar, I am not sure it would be compact enough for most airlines to let you put it in an overhead locker but it is a while since I tried that, so maybe rules have changed. Have you considered the Hofner shortie, or one of those purpose made travel basses?

Good luck with your search!

Pat

Thanks for the response Pat.  That’s helpful.