Why become a member? ×

Sire V7 ‘hum’

JPJ

So before this last week my lovely black Sire V7 has mainly been used at home, either plugged into an iPad/iRig combo or into my interface. 

But last week I plugged in via my pedal board and noticed the bass picked up quite a pronounced 240V hum when near the pedalboard power supply. Not deterred I still took the bass to my gig on Sunday safe in the knowledge that it wouldn’t be as close to my pedal board in a gig situation. However, during sound check I noticed the Bass was also picking up the same pronounced 240v hum from my venerable old SM900 amp head. 

My normal gigging bass is an Overwater 5 string J bass with DiMarzio ultra jazz pickups and a John East J Retro preamp and I’ve not experienced this hum from either the pedal board or the amp head when using the Overwater. 

My suspicion is that it’s the Sire pickups or the preamp. The bass has no shielding but as it’s active I’m not surprised by this. 

My question is have any other Sire users had this problem and if so, what did you do about it?