Why become a member? ×

I have a problem with E and A strings

Kingmagen

When i play on E and A string on 12th and further frets i get a very dull sound and strings just don't ring, although i can make out the notes. It's like hitting an empty barrel or pot with different water levels. I tried changing the action and moving the saddle, but nothing works. And it's not something with hardware, because it's still there when im not even plugged in. Sorry for mistakes, english isn't my first language.

On the sound file i play E string on 5th, 10th, 20th, again 20th, fret and then an open string. It's not very audible on the file because phones micro just can't really pick up the ringing on 5th and 10th fret

20210716_174710.amr

Edited by Kingmagen
Wanted to add sound file

Welcome to Basschat.

How old are the strings? Have you got the tone control turned up?

Plus the pickups get closer and closer to the mid-point of the string as you go up the frets, so the sound gets less 'rich' or 'bright'. This is especially noticeable with the neck pickup on two pickup basses.

You could try boosting the treble a bit more on the amp.

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Welcome to Basschat.

How old are the strings? Have you got the tone control turned up?

Plus the pickups get closer and closer to the mid-point of the string as you go up the frets, so the sound gets less 'rich' or 'bright'. This is especially noticeable with the neck pickup on two pickup basses.

You could try boosting the treble a bit more on the amp.

Hello, thanks. The strings might actually be the problem, because i haven't changed them since i bought bass, so they are from manufacturer, I'd say they are like half a year. I'm gonna try turning treble more, maybe it'll help for now, while im getting new strings. Thanks for help

It's probably not the strings. All basses have this to a certain extent.
I like to use these different sounds at will. When I want a more clear sound I play from 7th fret on the A, more dark and bassy from the 12th fret on the E.

On some basses the tone remains more open and clear along the fretboard. Examples are my Warwick Thumb NT and Zon Sonus 5.

A thinner string will always have more "ring". As others say, all basses exhibit this quality to an extent. If you want brighter sounding lower strings, you will need to use lighter gauges. Roundwound strings are brighter than flats and nickel wound are brighter than steel. You will also need full range amplification (read expensive) for that piano bass quality, especially at any volume. How capable is your amplification?

If you are using the strings the bass came with, they probably won't be the best, either in terms of quality or freshness. New strings will always sound brighter than worn ones. If the notes are indistinct, that is usually a sign that replacement is required. Nickel rounds (something like D'Addario nickel XL, which are widely available and not too expensive) in thinner gauges are probably the best option.

Edited by Dan Dare