Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SCR-DI

Guest BassAdder27

Recently purchased to use in front of my ABM600 and RM800 amps to give me flexibility in EQ settings and add the Scrambler drive ( small amount ) on certain songs

With amp set flat the Ampeg pedal was very easy to get a lovely sound and worked very well at band practice. 

I could next time set my amp EQ and use the pedal EQ ON as a mid boost etc

Very quiet pedal ( Used 1spot power supply ) very robust case although I think the controls are less robust. 

Nice heavy weight for keeping it on ground and for the money a good investment as it provides a DI and consistent tone etc 

I can recommend it 👍B003680F-4C23-4703-9DE8-1AA118349B77.thumb.jpeg.11098fa0e10d92f7e1bfce98da4a22f3.jpeg

I had one for a while and every time I DI’d with it the sound engineers made a point of seeking me out after the gig to say how good they thought the bass had sounded. 

It had to be the pedal as none did before, or since……..

36 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I had one for a while and every time I DI’d with it the sound engineers made a point of seeking me out after the gig to say how good they thought the bass had sounded. 

It had to be the pedal as none did before, or since……..

That’s good to know 👍

It’s also a handy practice / headphone device 

It does sound like Ampeg too which is never a bad thing 

The Scrambler section I find a little "Meh..." but I have tried running it just using the Preamp section directly into my Headrush 112 and it sounds great. If I had a bigger pedalboard it would be mounted along with the HX stomp and MS-60B. Advantages over the Classic Analogue Pre (after all it is basically THAT and an SCR pedal melded together) are the extra sockets (Headphones, line out, Ballanced DI out). Does a .good Ampeg impersonation if tweaked right

10 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

In fact it sounds really good with Ultra low and Ultra Hi engaged.

Ive also purchased the PF500 ( 2021 model ) and the two together sound really good. 

Used to have a full PF-500 stack (with the 2x10 and 1x15 cabs).. I was lucky to get one of the rare "good" 1st generation ones. Great sounding Amps, even better when put through a Pro Series 4x10 (really was not impressed with the Portaflex cabs tbh.). Have to say the Pro IV and SVT models are my go-to's on the Helix FX Stomp.

I’m using mine and my RM800 with my two 210 Pro Neo Ashdown cabs 

I had the PF115LF cab at first but didn’t like it and too heavy !

I’ve read so many PF500 failure stories but as they still make it and it’s about 8yrs since the early model issues I’m confident my 2021 model is reliable.. we will see 👍

1 minute ago, BassAdder27 said:

I’m using mine and my RM800 with my two 210 Pro Neo Ashdown cabs 

I had the PF115LF cab at first but didn’t like it and too heavy !

I’ve read so many PF500 failure stories but as they still make it and it’s about 8yrs since the early model issues I’m confident my 2021 model is reliable.. we will see 👍

It should be. The ONLY issue I ever had with mine was using it in a Rehersal studio on one of the cabs there - they then let me know they had messed with the impedance on that cab to save abuse from inexperienced clients - it was supposed to be 4 ohms but wasnt. Other than if being a bit Flaky with impedances it was used solidly (rehersals and gigs) for about three years.

Playing thru a PA I use mine mostly as a DI (in the "off" setting) and sometimes as a boost - playing into a gk500 head and ampeg 410 speaker the boost really warms things up. The scrambler adds a wee bit of Grrrr sometimes but I don't use it as proper distortion. I think this is a really useful pedal and sounds great when engaged.

I use mine mainly for silent practice at home, and I think it sounds fantastic. I love the fact that I can just plug in my bass and my iPod, slap on the headphones, and I’m off and running. 

If I want some dirt when I’m recording, this is my go to. It just sounds great. 

Oddly enough, I’ve never used it on stage, but then I’m not a fan of using pedals live anymore, aside from my Turbo tuner and Demeter compressor, which is always on and both sit on the floor right in front of my amp.