Why become a member? ×

Fender P bass original pickup. Is this real? Pole pieces don't look right

Look absolutely fine for whats on the box etcbut they are not the 62RI pickups, they came in a different box. Great pickups (had them in a couple of my past bitsa's). Doubt they are trying to pull a fast one - there is a lot of confusion and people often refer to them as 62RI pickups (there are ACTUAL 62 RI pickups but these aint those.)

62RI

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-custom-shop-62-precision-bass-pickup/132354?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMaGBhD3ARIsAPvWd6idWQ3IikEKGrsgbNoCTlSsP3ydIwW3U-ILDRN8GqpVyJLZ0tS7H-saAvPuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Original

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-original-precision-bass-pickup-set/40600?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMaGBhD3ARIsAPvWd6jzRk6GTKlINcpp0qZXE3xizl2o31AqR6D0LXZyOI8xTpozZkxQQyYaAnB1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Visually they are very similair

*EDIT* Looking at it it seems Fender refer to them as 62 pickups to add to the confusion..

Edited by Nibody

3 hours ago, police squad said:

yes, I know there is the custom shop one and the standard one. I have the standard one in a bitsa I made and I want the same again

The polepieces do not looked bevelled in the ebay advert, but they are on the one I have

could just be the bobin sitting low in the covers. HOWEVER a new set from GAK (and a few other retailers)are only about £10 more - so I'd be tempted to go down that route if you are worried. They have the waxed cloth wiring and the baseplate so to me they look legit.

18 hours ago, Nibody said:

could just be the bobin sitting low in the covers. HOWEVER a new set from GAK (and a few other retailers)are only about £10 more - so I'd be tempted to go down that route if you are worried. They have the waxed cloth wiring and the baseplate so to me they look legit.

I think you're right, I'll just buy new. Great pickup, another tenner or so shouldn't matter