Why become a member? ×

Missing wire

Jono Bolton

Today I changed the jack socket on my MIM Jazz from the original stock one to a Switchcraft one. However, when I took the control plate off, having expected to see 2 wires connected to the socket, I was bit surprised to find that there was just one connected to it. If you look at the diagram below, I'm missing the one that goes to the ground tab of the socket from the top of the tone control.

[attachment=22854:std_jazz_bass.jpg]

Does it make a difference that that wire isn't there? I've had the bass for over 4 years now but I've never really looked at the socket before so I have to assume that it's never been there. The tab certainly looks like there's never been any solder on it.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='447485' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:41 PM']Today I changed the jack socket on my MIM Jazz from the original stock one to a Switchcraft one. However, when I took the control plate off, having expected to see 2 wires connected to the socket, I was bit surprised to find that there was just one connected to it. If you look at the diagram below, I'm missing the one that goes to the ground tab of the socket from the top of the tone control.

[attachment=22854:std_jazz_bass.jpg]

Does it make a difference that that wire isn't there? I've had the bass for over 4 years now but I've never really looked at the socket before so I have to assume that it's never been there. The tab certainly looks like there's never been any solder on it.[/quote]

The jack socket is probably earthed through its mechanical contact with the earthed control plate. However, as I've known jack sockets to work loose quite often, having a dedicated earth wire as shown in the diagram will ensure you don't suddenly go snap crackle and pop during your big bass solo! :)

Initially I thought this wasn't possible....then.....thinks..... the socket on a Jazz is mounted on a metal plate. This metal plate would connect to the ground of the jack socket by virtue of the socket being bolted onto the plate. The plate then carries the ground signal and the pots are also bolted to the plate which would ground them too. So it would all work find as long as everything is bolted tightly.

The extra (missing) wire to the ground would help if any of the pots or the jack worked loose, but otherwise it will all work ok.