Why become a member? ×

Guts ... Here we go again ...

MrTea

I've read a few similar posts on here so don't want to tread over old ground but ...

I think I'm ready to start my journey into guts. I'm not playing another that really needs the slap but rather interested in the tone and feel. I suspect I'll probably keep my Evah Weichs on the E & A and look for a gut D & G. Here's the question ...

Will Superior Bassworks synthetic guts give me a good idea if I'm going to like guts? I have some to chuck on but wondered how close they're going to be to the sound/feel?

Following that - what's a good starter gut without spending a small fortune? Has anyone used these - http://www.janika.co.uk/webshop.php?page=BSTRINGSGUTGD ?

I don't think these questions have been answered before but please shout if I've missed a similar thread. 

I'd say you're in luck ... even cheap weed-whacker synthetics give a reasonable idea of gut tone and feel on the G, and on the D to a lesser degree. They'll miss the subtle overtones and harmonics you might be hoping for if you're really soloing and jazzing, but for basic thumpy roots music they'll give you an idea. And if you're amplified, you'll barely know the difference.

SBW and similar will be better approximations.

Cheapish Lenzner will feel and sound better if you're really listening - but will still sound closer to SBW than to Evah Weichs.  

3 hours ago, PaulKing said:

I'd say you're in luck ... even cheap weed-whacker synthetics give a reasonable idea of gut tone and feel on the G, and on the D to a lesser degree.

I thought I was ... I'd had the strings from either a previous bass or some bulk buy of old strings. Just eagerly whipped off the old G to find these have been cut far too short for my use. I'll check out the lenzler and see how much they are - if I can afford it is rather do this properly. 

Edited by MrTea