Why become a member? ×

Stagg EUB help please

Beedster

Hi folks
Picked up my Stagg last night. Looks and feels great but the post seems to be loose, that is, no matter how tight I tighten the retainer bolt, the post and hence the bass still moves side-to-side and feels unstable. It also vibrates slightly when played which is worrying. Is this normal (I assume not). If not, am I doing something wrong in terms of setting the bass, up or is there a problem requiring that it goes back to the seller?
Thanks
Chris

Hi Beedster. The post shouldnt rattle around playing normally. Mine does when I try a bit of slappy stuff but that is just the pin inside the body and Andyalpha has a good fix for that. If the end pin is extended all the way out, it can feel unsteady as the pin kind of flexes but it still shouldnt feel loose. The other thing youll want to do is to dampen the strings between the tail and the bridge as they love joining in with everything else. I use a block of foam but a lot of guys wrap material around them. That might make a difference. All that being said, if the pin is visibly loose and cant be tightened, then I think it needs to be looked at. Hope this helps

Cheers

Don

Hi. As Maxcat says, I had a rattly endpin which I fixed with bubble wrap. The details should be in the Stagg mega thread around page 12 or 13 I think. +1 on the damping too. I have a block of foam between the bridge and the tailpiece as well. A sock worked fine, but leaves you open to a bit of ribbing from the drummer.

Being quite tall, I have the end pin almost all the way out, and although it flexes a bit during enthusiastic playing, it shouldn't feel loose and move about too much. If that's what is happening, you should get it checked.