Why become a member? ×

Would this work?

Eight

Not so hot on my electronics, but was wondering if this would work? I'm just after a wee device so that I can easily/consistantly adjust the volume going into the amp when I change from playing fingers to pick.

Its for a reduction in volume when the switch is pressed, no amplification etc.

Edit: Changed my mind and adjusted some stuff.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='445876' date='Mar 26 2009, 12:23 PM']Not so hot on my electronics, but was wondering if this would work? I'm just after a wee device so that I can easily/consistantly adjust the volume going into the amp when I change from playing fingers to pick.

Its for a reduction in volume when the switch is pressed, no amplification etc.

Edit: Changed my mind and adjusted some stuff.[/quote]

That would constantly load the pickup whether or not it was switched on.

Try this. Input goes to top of volume pot; output to slider; bottom switched to ground (attenuated) or left open circuit (bypass).

There might be a very small drop in volume (depending on the input impedance of the amp) in the bypass position but not so as you'd notice, a dB or two at most.

[quote name='bremen' post='445982' date='Mar 26 2009, 01:50 PM']That would constantly load the pickup whether or not it was switched on.[/quote]
Ah.

Can you elaborate a little? I'm not doubting your suggestions, just trying to learn a little more. I understand about loading the pickups - and it thinning the sound even when "bypassed" - but is this because of the resistance from the DPDT? In which case, don't A/B switches suffer the same problem?

I'm assuming even something like a switching ic would cause the same issues?

[quote name='Eight' post='446311' date='Mar 26 2009, 06:55 PM']Ah.

Can you elaborate a little? I'm not doubting your suggestions, just trying to learn a little more. I understand about loading the pickups - and it thinning the sound even when "bypassed" - but is this because of the resistance from the DPDT? In which case, don't A/B switches suffer the same problem?

I'm assuming even something like a switching ic would cause the same issues?[/quote]

The switch wouldn't have any effect as shown, but the track of the pot would always be in parallel with the input of the amp. This might affect the sound (it would cut top end rather than 'thin' the sound) if used with a passive pickup, particularly if it's a series-wired humbucker. It would be fine with an active bass.

The circuit I tried to describe puts some of the pot in series with the guitar when it's switched out of circuit that might reduce volume very slightly but doesn't put any extra load on the pickup. You could arrange a DPDT switch to act as a true bypass, but that means you won't be able to switch a LED. Unless you use a 4PDT switch, or a relay...

I don't have a scanner here so I can't draw any diagrams...I will tomorrow though if you like, PM me if I forget!

[quote name='bremen' post='446350' date='Mar 26 2009, 07:28 PM']The switch wouldn't have any effect as shown, but the track of the pot would always be in parallel with the input of the amp.[/quote]
Sorry mate, I'm being a bit thick here. :rolleyes: If I was using one terminal and the wiper from the pot (like a rheostat - is that what they're called?) and not grounding the other terminal, when the bypass is enabled, the pot wouldn't be part of a loop. Are you saying that still affect things though? I don't know if not grounding the second terminal would cause problems in itself mind.

Just taking the opportunity to suck the information and knowledge out of you. :D

[quote]I don't have a scanner here so I can't draw any diagrams...I will tomorrow though if you like, PM me if I forget![/quote]
You're a gent. :)

[quote name='Eight' post='445876' date='Mar 26 2009, 12:23 PM']Not so hot on my electronics, but was wondering if this would work? I'm just after a wee device so that I can easily/consistantly adjust the volume going into the amp when I change from playing fingers to pick.[/quote]

Your hands can do this. It just takes practice!

Alex