Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Line 6 DM4 stray component...

juice

hi,

I have a Line-6 DM4 distortion modeler which has packed up on me. As it was rattling I opened it up expecting to find a loose chip.

What I have found is a component labeled 330fu which looks like a resistor of some sort with wire wound around a central core it appears as though it is covered in a silicone type blob. The position on the circuit board is marked as L1 on the main power in section.

I would love to get it repaired but Line 6 haven't contacted me despite 2calls a week for 4 weeks!

thanks for any help you can give

juice

Edited by juice

[quote name='juice' post='444079' date='Mar 24 2009, 06:37 PM']hi,

I have a Line-6 DM4 distortion modeler which has packed up on me. As it was rattling I opened it up expecting to find a loose chip.

What I have found is a component labeled 330fu which looks like a resistor of some sort with wire wound around a central core it appears as though it is covered in a silicone type blob. The position on the circuit board is marked as L1 on the main power in section.

I would love to get it repaired but Line 6 haven't contacted me despite 2calls a week for 4 weeks!

juice[/quote]

It's an inductor.

Is it broken, or just dislodged? PM me if you like and I'll have a go at fixing it. No promises though.

[quote name='bremen' post='444191' date='Mar 24 2009, 07:56 PM']It's an inductor.

Is it broken, or just dislodged? PM me if you like and I'll have a go at fixing it. No promises though.[/quote]

not really sure.... I would guess from looking that the base part appears to still be on the board & there is no holes through the board so i guess it mus be soldered on the top somehow? by the fact that I can see the wire coil which i presume was 'inside' the component it has come apart.

I wonder if it would be normal to apply this silicon type blob?

It is probably to small to photo but will try when my cameras charged up

thanks for your help so far

[quote name='juice' post='444079' date='Mar 24 2009, 06:37 PM']hi,

juice[/quote]

It's an inductor and sounds like it's part of the switchmode power supply circuit. Anyone with some soldering iron skills should be able to sort that out.

Dave

[quote name='juice' post='444219' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:13 PM']not really sure.... I would guess from looking that the base part appears to still be on the board & there is no holes through the board so i guess it mus be soldered on the top somehow? by the fact that I can see the wire coil which i presume was 'inside' the component it has come apart.

I wonder if it would be normal to apply this silicon type blob?

It is probably to small to photo but will try when my cameras charged up

thanks for your help so far[/quote]

Ah! It might be a surface mount component (SMT) in which much harder to fix without the correct equipment. Ring Line 6 would be my advice.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='445132' date='Mar 25 2009, 04:39 PM']Ah! It might be a surface mount component (SMT) in which much harder to fix without the correct equipment. Ring Line 6 would be my advice.

Dave[/quote]

Thanks for your help Dave I will keep trying to get through to line-6, I wonder if anyone has an email address for the repairs dept.?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...