Why become a member? ×

Rack mounting Trace Elliot amp

Stub Mandrel

Can anyone suggest a 17" rack case that could hold a Trace Elliot preamp/poweramp out of a combo that would allow the ventilation at the top of the power amp to be clear?

Or any suggestions for an alternative approach - could I stick in a 1U effects module that is only shallow front to back that doesn't need access from behind and then fit a plate at the back with ventilation slots or a fan?

Depends on the model of Trace. There's lots of different schemes of combos!

17'' racks? Don't think so. 19'' is the standard. Makes me think you have one of the AH series stuffed into a combo? If so there could well be nuts in place at the sides and a lid already? Then you would need custom ears and a 19'' rack case.

17" Typo 🙂

The power amp is 19" wide but the combo has a chunk out of the top for ventilation and the amp is fitted in place with two screws from above and two at the back.

The combo is actually a lot wider than 19" so the preamp has dummy ventilated plates fitted either side to fill the space.

The alternative is mimicking the existing arrangement and making a case from ply or chipboard, but a nice rack case would look 'pro'.

15 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Are those front 'vents' not part of the front panel? Those would be wider than 19'' and not removable I think.

No they are separate plates to make the 19" preamp fill the ~22 1/2" width of the cutout in the combo. The one on the left:

Page 9.jpg

• Like 1