Why become a member? ×

Help Me Choose An Inexpensive New Bass

Misdee

18 hours ago, Misdee said:

I had a look at them on YT , amazing value and great sound,  but they are meant to be a bit on the heavy side according to some folks.

Fair play. I've got the mm85 a, it is heavy ish, but it is a five string, with two mahoosive humbuckers 😂. Plus I have just picked it with up my Vintera Mustang and it is no heavier really. I think the basswood bodies help in reducing the weight. Problem is finding out how heavy they are. Although nothing is too much for Thomann customer service. I am 100% sure they will tell you what their basses weigh if you call them. 

17 hours ago, Little Dragon said:

If they were available in a plain colour, I would!

I actually love the Sunburst and matching headstock on this one. Plus I love that the black scratchplate hides the humbucker. I had the 5 string on order but as it was going to be my only 5 string I changed it to its fugly, but far better specced sibling - the MM85 a. I am usually a sucker for the right look/colour, but in this instance it was all about getting the maximum tonal variations for as little cash as possible. I think a black scratchplate would sort the two eyewateringly in your face humbuckers, and on the plus side, the burst is a lovely claret colour. 

I am thinking that, all things considered, I am going to plump for the Ibanez Talman.  It seems like it will be well-made and pretty versatile. The shape is pretty attractive to my taste, too. 

This whole exercise has been an eye-opener for me, though. I may well end up buying a less expensive bass for my own use in the near future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Misdee said:

I am thinking that, all things considered, I am going to plump for the Ibanez Talman.  It seems like it will be well-made and pretty versatile. The shape is pretty attractive to my taste, too. 

This whole exercise has been an eye-opener for me, though. I may well end up buying a less expensive bass for my own use in the near future. 

I love the shape of the Talman. Nearly bought the 5 string active one myself, but wanted to spend even less, as the 5 string was only a punt to see if I liked it. Ended up spending more than I wanted on the HH Ray alike, rather than the MB5 SB. I kinda forgot about the Talman and the fact that it was only 30 quid less than I spent in the end😳🙄😂. Still happy with what I got though, so all good 👍. I reckon you have made an excellent choice though, as I love a short scale! 

Now for the next question...... What colour are you going for? coz there is loads choice for the 4 strings... I love a bit of short scale green myselfIMG_20200407_120223.thumb.jpg.628a586dd36884eb2f904c16f11a9f6a.jpgwe

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Lovely Mustang!

I too love a pale green bass, but different basses look good in certain colours, and I like the Talman in black. They all look good, but the black is my personal favourite for that bass. . 

I love it - the tone is sublime! Great colour choice for the Talman. Is it the one with the tort scratchplate?