Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Artcore Range

ODavy

i was thinking of getting an Ibanez from the artcore range
or possibly even the attack range like the ATK 700 or something along those lines

this would be my first proper stage bass though i was wondering the type of sound you get from the pickups like if theyre any good and also if theyre reliable enough for me not to have to fix it on stage lol

any reviews?

[quote name='ODavy' post='437548' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:03 PM']Indie Rock style mostly
so its more for look and style
but i need a good sound
and i suppose up to sort of £440 - £500 quid[/quote]

The Artcore is short scale. They look nice, but to be honest, the one I played didn't sound great.

The ATK, on the other hand, is a fantastic bass. They're heavy though!

yeah i like the look of the bridge and pickups on the ATK but
is one pickup enough? i know its triple coil and stuff but

(im not bothered about it being heavy)

would there be a better make than ibanez perhaps for a reliable indie style bass?

[quote name='ODavy' post='437568' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:17 PM']yeah i like the look of the bridge and pickups on the ATK but
is one pickup enough? i know its triple coil and stuff but

(im not bothered about it being heavy)

would there be a better make than ibanez perhaps for a reliable indie style bass?[/quote]

The ATK is actually very versatile. I used to have the 5 string, and it would do good imitations of a Stingray or Precision.

For the budget you've quoted, you should be able to pick up a nice Mexican or Japanese Precision - They should fit the genre I would have thought.

The best advice is to try a few basses, see which feel comfortable and sound good to you.

You'd be hard pushed to find many indie rock bassists who don't play Fenders...

That obviously doesn't mean you have to by any means though, it's nice to see some different basses out there.

Are their any particular players whose bass sound you like?

yeah i think my main influence is kinda of arctic monkeys juist with a load of fills.
im trying to hit that sort of sound...
i was thinking about a modified squier P-bass but it only has one split coil pickup and i dont know if that would be any good...

[quote name='ODavy' post='438558' date='Mar 18 2009, 07:06 PM']yeah i think my main influence is kinda of arctic monkeys juist with a load of fills.
im trying to hit that sort of sound...
i was thinking about a modified squier P-bass but it only has one split coil pickup and i dont know if that would be any good...[/quote]

The best answer is to try one - if it nails the sound you're looking for that's job done. Both of the Arctic's bass players used P's...

Dare to be different! I'm in an indie band and use a jazz, a 7-string Conklin & a fretless six! If image matters more, take up modeling :)

Seriously though, the ATK is a fab bass, try one and compare it with a p & jazz, (and whatever else you can) & see what floats the boat.

Not sure where you live, but if you're a londoner, then your first port of call should be the bass gallery. the guys in there are happy to let you noodle about on different basses, so it's a great place to find one that suits you. I always feel slightly guilty though as if i find something i like i'll always buy it on the internet, not in the shop.

[quote name='Zach' post='439025' date='Mar 19 2009, 10:57 AM']Not sure where you live, but if you're a londoner, then your first port of call should be the bass gallery. the guys in there are happy to let you noodle about on different basses, so it's a great place to find one that suits you. [b]I always feel slightly guilty though as if i find something i like i'll always buy it on the internet, not in the shop.[/b][/quote]

You know that they will try their best to price match in there?