Why become a member? ×

EHX Pitchfork - thoughts

Alfie Noakes

I bought an EHX Pitchfork on here, and have tried it at home several times, but I’m very unimpressed - is it me, or is it faulty?

It does the pitch shift thing well, but really affects the original tone and makes it sound just blurghhhh (my most accurate description).

I’m using it as a glorified capo due to our singer - I know, just change the singer - so have it set to fully dry (no mix/blend) and have tried it both up and down a tone or even a semi. Although the resulting notes are corrected and as they should be, it really makes them sound pants, and a world apart from the lovely original unaffected tone I fed in. 

All advice gratefully received, peeps.

Not you at all. It is very "tinny".

I've settled on Digitech Mosaic for octave up (others really like the more featured Ricochet but I've not tried that). Helix Stomp / HFX etc does the broader pitch shift very well and obviously a lot more, but not cheap kit. 

Thanks, Al - that’s reassuring. I do have a Helix FX, but was trying to knock up a smaller board. I just need the odd key change, worst cases are three semi-tones down, and five up, rather than a whole octave. Do you know of anything else that would fit the bill, rather than the Helix FX?

The Zoom multis I love but lack the chip processing muscle to handle pitch shifting well and with minimal latency.

The Boss PS6 harmonist is flexible and warmer than the EHX but also suffers latency issues (there you go @Stub Mandrel, proof if you needed it that I'm not on Boss's payroll despite my continued effusiveness for the SY-1's unparalleled polyphonic tracking!)

EHX Pitchfork - tinny as we we've discussed.

Helix - very capable but price / size.

I think that just leaves the Digitech Drop of the ones I'm aware of. I've never had one (I still have or previously have had all the others I've mentioned above). But, given the positive experience I've had with their Mosaic and other BC'ers with the Ricochet, it could well be just the ticket for you.

Edited by Al Krow