Why become a member? ×

Show us yer Yamaha bbg / bbn basses

zonular

39 minutes ago, Maude said:

I had a BBG5s which was active (with volume, bass, treble and pan controls) so maybe the 's' denotes active or not. 

I think the Yamaha naming convention is such that "S" means sunburst (Per my own BBG4SII). I notice your BBG5 has non original Kent Armstrong pickups. How does it sound?

11 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

I think the Yamaha naming convention is such that "S" means sunburst (Per my own BBG4SII). I notice your BBG5 has non original Kent Armstrong pickups. How does it sound?

Theory scuppered 😉. Here's my BBG5s. 

Nkfdr1l.jpg

Sticker on back of headstock. 

fLpnHhU.jpg

Wow, that is my theory blown out of the water right enough!

Any idea what the naming convention might be, then? I'm surprised how many variants there are of these BBG's and BBN's.

And that's a nice looking active version, btw. Normally I'm not mad for black basses.

Maybe we should have a "show yer BBG/BBN thread"..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Huge, I'm surprised as my other bass is a ibanez atk400 and the Yamaha sounds bigger if that makes sense

9 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Wow, that is my theory blown out of the water right enough!

Any idea what the naming convention might be, then? I'm surprised how many variants there are of these BBG's and BBN's.

And that's a nice looking active version, btw. Normally I'm not mad for black basses.

Maybe we should have a "show yer BBG/BBN thread"..

Done and done!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I've no idea. I bought this bass as my second proper bass twenty years ago, traded in a Yamaha Attitude Special for the BBG brand new. I had no idea what was what back then but just liked how it felt and wanted a five string. I've only just sold it as I haven't played a five for years but it was too nice to let go, but ultimately it'll never get played so it went.