Why become a member? ×

Dead Ashdown combo

Mr. Foxen

I was given an Electric Blue 150 that had no output. Fired it up, gets input, but no output. So I plugged the speaker part into my other EB-180 combo's output, and now that one doesn't work either. Guess its the speaker shorted or something that kills amps. Am I likely to be able to find a fuse to replace that will fix that?

I've mailed Ashdown tech support.

Sounds like the speakers voice coil has gone short circuit.
Never owned an Ashdown, never looked inside one, but it'd be pretty remiss of them to not include a speaker fuse on their amps.
If you've got a multimeter, check the continuity through any fuses you can see inside (for gods sake unplug everything first!) Any fuses that have a resistance of more than a fraction of an Ohm are knackered.

Andy

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='435333' date='Mar 15 2009, 05:32 PM']Took the speaker out, problem was the two wires going form the terminals to the coil were touching (themselves at night). Pretty textbook short. Off to Maplins for fuses after work tomorrow then.[/quote]

Seperate the tinsel leads (that's the ones going from terminal to coil for the uninitiated) and check the resistance across the terminals with a multimeter. Chances are there's nothing wrong with the speaker if the leads shorted. Pretty unusual fault though - usually the tinsel leads are set far enough apart that they can't touch even at maximum cone excursion.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='435390' date='Mar 15 2009, 06:28 PM']Seperate the tinsel leads (that's the ones going from terminal to coil for the uninitiated) and check the resistance across the terminals with a multimeter. Chances are there's nothing wrong with the speaker if the leads shorted. Pretty unusual fault though - usually the tinsel leads are set far enough apart that they can't touch even at maximum cone excursion.

A[/quote]

Well, there was plenty enough slack on these for them to touch, they were touching when I took it out, and there is that residue on them you get when things are sparking. I taped round them and stuck the tape to the chassis, hope it won't touch the cone and make noise, shouldn't do.