Why become a member? ×

Soundcloud Mastering

Nicko

Out of curiosity I tried a sample Soundcloud mastering on one of my hosted tracks, and was blown away by the difference it made.  How do they do it, bearing in mind they have a single audio output that's already mixed - is it mainly overall level and EQ?  Obviously I'd like to be able to achieve a similar result so any pointers to successful mixing and mastering would be gratefully received.

17 minutes ago, Nicko said:

...any pointers to successful mixing and mastering would be gratefully received.

This is dangerous talk. Mixing and Mastering are Dark Arts, involving many Untold Secrets and a Whole Host Of Gear that Humans don't have to hand. One common denominator, though, is Ears. Most folks have 'em, but to be useful in this domain, they usually need Training. This can be inexpensive, if one has, instead of a Wallet, a decent Bucket-full of Patience.
One tip I can pass on (you'll have to come a bit closer to the screen, though, so the others don't see...). Once the recordings are finished, listen to them, all together, and imagine you're listening to a track by [insert group in the same genre you're familiar with]. Then listen to a track by that same group. Where is there a difference (there most likely will be, and probably quite a lot...)..? Try to identify, mentally, what it is fundamentally that is different. Use broad, mental brush-strokes for this : cymbals too loud, disto guitar mushy, singer's notes wavering, too much or too little bass... Go back to the mixing of your tracks and see what can be done (again, broad strokes...) to get closer to the 'model'. Rinse and repeat.
There is a website which, in my view, gives a darned good way in to this art ...

Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio ...

There's a lot of stuff in there, but if you're keen, it's a treasure trove. Worth a look..? B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1