Why become a member? ×

No Idea what I'm doing

Nicko

I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and took lessons a few years back which taught me a lot about scales, harmony. and how to phrase melodies so they sound interesting (I studied to grade 5). I've recently started using VST instruments and I've realised that I have absolutely no idea what I'm playing rhythmically when I play the bass.  I am completely unable to program in anything other than fairly straightforward rhythmic patterns on a bass sequencer.  I can just about cope with programming drum patterns.  

Any idea where I should start to fill this gap in my knowledge?

Maybe listen to other stuff, and work out what's going on..? Try searching for MIDI bass parts, and see how they're constructed..? I have some ToonTrack stuff, such as EZPlayer, which has a ton of parts to look at, study or just filch..! Look at some classical music, too; how are the bass instruments fitting into the composition..? Need any more..? :friends:

52 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I've realised that I have absolutely no idea what I'm playing rhythmically when I play the bass. 

Maybe try recording yourself playing something rhythmically complex on bass (using your DAW's metronome to keep in line with the DAW bars/beats) and then look at it in the DAW to see where the notes fall, and then try to program something similar using your sequencer? 

• Like 1

Fire off spotify, take 5 random songs (different genres possibly), and note down the rythmic structure of their basslines.

Then forget about those songs, and start playing those rythms/basslines. High chances are they'll sound and feel different than the original. Find the one you like best, or mix and match to taste. You just created a new rythm/bassline! :)

EDIT: Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your question - I thought the question was "How do I come up with bass parts?". But it turns out it might be "I don't know how to keep the time as the bass player"? In the latter case, metronome and practice, that's all :)

Edited by akabane

22 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe listen to other stuff, and work out what's going on..? Try searching for MIDI bass parts, and see how they're constructed..? I have some ToonTrack stuff, such as EZPlayer, which has a ton of parts to look at, study or just filch..! Look at some classical music, too; how are the bass instruments fitting into the composition..? Need any more..? :friends:

Yep, I've been doing that.  The problem isn't the actual programming it's translating whats in my head to the rhythm. I have been programming Hysteria from tab and score to get to grips with a new DAW and that is working OK (bass is straight in the verse but a bit more complex in the chorus but I've also done the guitar parts getting rhythm from score and drums from tab 1e+a,2e+a etc).  I can read rhythms from score, I just cant translate whats in my head to what the score would look like.

21 hours ago, Earbrass said:

Maybe try recording yourself playing something rhythmically complex on bass (using your DAW's metronome to keep in line with the DAW bars/beats) and then look at it in the DAW to see where the notes fall, and then try to program something similar using your sequencer? 

Yep, trying that with a midi keyboard too.  I'm having problems with latency which is causing this to be more difficult than it should, but will try on my other DAW when I get the studio back (currently the wife's home office).

Edited by Nicko

14 hours ago, akabane said:

EDIT: Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your question - I thought the question was "How do I come up with bass parts?". But it turns out it might be "I don't know how to keep the time as the bass player"? In the latter case, metronome and practice, that's all :)

Neither.  I can do it when playing but can't translate this into midi file.  It's not a problem if I want to record a real instrument - only if I want to program a virtual one. 

6 minutes ago, Nicko said:

... I just cant translate whats in my head to what the score would look like.

Can you try slowing down what's in your head and scoring that..? 'Think' at half-speed, or even less (whatever it takes...); doing it at slower speed will get you 'into the zone', and the process will build up to 'normal' speed after a while (a few weeks..?). It's not a simple, natural process, but comes easily enough, for everyone, with a bit of work and a lot of patience. You're not alone in this; it's common enough when taking on new mental tasks.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1