Why become a member? ×

35" B/E/A/D four strings

Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='430113' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:50 AM']Apologies if you're seeing too many posts from me on this.

In an effort to resolve needing to be playing in standard E tuning for a while, and wanting to be playing in standard C (along to records, doing transcriptions and maybe a bit of writing), I've come to the conclusion that what I need is another new bass. :)

I know Schecter make the Stilletto Sub which is a 35" scale four string bass that comes set up for BEAD. Pricing isn't too bad but stock levels are awful. Do you know of anyone else who makes such a beast?

I don't really want a five string if I can help it. Although I'll be keeping an eye on the For Sale section for them just in case.[/quote]

there are a lot of 34" basses with BEAD...and G stringing...5 strings
i cant see why you would need a 35"
just get the gauges right and attend to the nut

[quote name='mrcrow' post='432703' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:11 PM']there are a lot of 34" basses with BEAD...and G stringing...5 strings
i cant see why you would need a 35"
just get the gauges right and attend to the nut[/quote]
Cheers mate. I've been having a look around at possible strings to give this a whirl - only taperwounds I've found have been £40. Ok its cheaper than a new bass... but still.

Although, I have just taken another peek at the beast and everything looks ok except for needing to widen the nut slots; and I'm a little concerned about the saddles (hoping thats what you call them) on the bridge. How snugly should a string fit in those groves? I think a .130 would just be balanced on top rather than actually sitting in there.

[quote name='Eight' post='432716' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:19 PM']Cheers mate. I've been having a look around at possible strings to give this a whirl - only taperwounds I've found have been £40. Ok its cheaper than a new bass... but still.

Although, I have just taken another peek at the beast and everything looks ok except for needing to widen the nut slots; and I'm a little concerned about the saddles (hoping thats what you call them) on the bridge. How snugly should a string fit in those groves? I think a .130 would just be balanced on top rather than actually sitting in there.[/quote]

Got it in one! You'll just have to try it out and see if they fit. I'm sure it's not the end of the world if it doesn't sit fully in the saddle. As you said, it's not going to be a perfect bass, just something to noodle around on. Also i agree with the 5 string idea. If you like having the low B then you should definetly think about getting one, i did and i never looked back. I'm even thinking of getting a 6 now.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='432736' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:36 PM']Also i agree with the 5 string idea. If you like having the low B then you should definetly think about getting one, i did and i never looked back. I'm even thinking of getting a 6 now.[/quote]
I'm not quite sure why but I'm pretty resistant to the idea of a 5. I should probably take the next opportunity I get to try one.

BTW A 6 is a gu*tar. :)

[quote name='Eight' post='433272' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:14 AM']I'm not quite sure why but I'm pretty resistant to the idea of a 5. I should probably take the next opportunity I get to try one.

BTW A 6 is a gu*tar. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Nah mate i've already got one of those!

[quote][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_string_bass"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_string_bass[/url][/quote]

"In 1975, Anthony Jackson asked Carl Thompson to build him a six-string bass guitar tuned (from low to high) BEADGC. Jackson's bass extended the range of the bass both lower and higher than a four-string. [u]Though Jackson initially received much criticism for the new instrument[/u], the deep sounds of the low "B" string become a standard in many genres including metal, R&B, funk, and gospel."

Some things never change :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Eight' post='432716' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:19 PM']Cheers mate. I've been having a look around at possible strings to give this a whirl - only taperwounds I've found have been £40. Ok its cheaper than a new bass... but still.

Although, I have just taken another peek at the beast and everything looks ok except for needing to widen the nut slots; and I'm a little concerned about the saddles (hoping thats what you call them) on the bridge. How snugly should a string fit in those groves? I think a .130 would just be balanced on top rather than actually sitting in there.[/quote]

the taper wound strings should do the saddle bit...but the nut once cut...its cut

you can however rest the B in the E slot in the saddle to try the sound...

really a 5'er takes care of all those evils and leaves you a G string.... :)

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='photographymatt' post='433539' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:49 PM']if you want a Stilletto Sub, theres a gorgous black one in my local shop(telford) for a good price.[/quote]
Its a good job I don't live anywhere near you or I'd be down there to "try" it. I know GAS would get the better of me if I actually had one in my hands.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='433993' date='Mar 13 2009, 06:14 PM']really a 5'er takes care of all those evils and leaves you a G string.... :)[/quote]
I can see the point in them... just, well... if I didn't have a bass in E then the G would probably be needed, but outside of lessons I could live without a G. I can't say I'm (yet) someone who uses a huge amount of high notes.

Everyone's input has been really appreciated and has been food for thought. If I look at things objectively, I'm not in desperate need to fix this problem so have time to think and work out the best way forward for me.

Still trying to decide what I want to do on this. New strings. New 4, or give in to the evils of a 5. Indecision could be an issue here sooner or later.

[quote name='Eight' post='434524' date='Mar 14 2009, 12:18 PM']Its a good job I don't live anywhere near you or I'd be down there to "try" it. I know GAS would get the better of me if I actually had one in my hands.

I can see the point in them... just, well... if I didn't have a bass in E then the G would probably be needed, but outside of lessons I could live without a G. I can't say I'm (yet) someone who uses a huge amount of high notes.

Everyone's input has been really appreciated and has been food for thought. If I look at things objectively, I'm not in desperate need to fix this problem so have time to think and work out the best way forward for me.

Still trying to decide what I want to do on this. New strings. New 4, or give in to the evils of a 5. Indecision could be an issue here sooner or later.[/quote]

Yeah 5 strings are evil, but in a good way