Why become a member? ×

Eastern bow. DOH!!

mybass

I've had a french style bow for 25 years. Cost next to nothing really but is still straight and true. It snapped about six years ago in the car, the noise frightened the life outa me! I glued it up with Titebond and it is still okay.
I've never been great at bowing so I decided to try a german style bow.
I went for a Chinese one on ebay. Hmmmm. Advertised as top quality brazilian wood etc etc. About £50 all in. Bow arrived, took it out of the plastic tube packing. B.... bent! aaaarrrrgggghhhh. Company asked for pics to prove it was bent, a difficult task but dutifully taken and sent, refund available but postage back in the original packing is £36!? This is too much fro them to refund me so the company now asks me to break, yes break the bow and send only the frog, button and tip with hair back for a refund. I've double checked this too.
Lesson learnt. Three weeks of emailing.
Buyer beware.

Ebay.. China.. say no more.

On a brighter note I also switched from French to German bow; started with an inexpensive one second hand and in need of a rehair. Got this done by a friend who's skilled in these matters. Convinced me to go fully German.
Great for me, as one can get a far stronger stroke, especially on the lower strings. This is to an extent (considering my skill level :) ) at the extent of speed and fine control on higher notes. Still liking it though, and inspired to use a much higher quality bow these days.
Go for it! If you're ever 'up North' you're welcome to a go on mine.

[quote name='hubrad' post='429693' date='Mar 9 2009, 07:23 PM']Ebay.. China.. say no more.

On a brighter note I also switched from French to German bow; started with an inexpensive one second hand and in need of a rehair. Got this done by a friend who's skilled in these matters. Convinced me to go fully German.
Great for me, as one can get a far stronger stroke, especially on the lower strings. This is to an extent (considering my skill level :) ) at the extent of speed and fine control on higher notes. Still liking it though, and inspired to use a much higher quality bow these days.
Go for it! If you're ever 'up North' you're welcome to a go on mine.[/quote]

Ta very much for the offer Hubrad. I did a few bow passes with the german one and noticed straight away, as you say, the easier and stronger pressure available. I'm likely be looking back in blighty now for a german bow.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mybass' post='430040' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:18 AM']Ta very much for the offer Hubrad. I did a few bow passes with the german one and noticed straight away, as you say, the easier and stronger pressure available. I'm likely be looking back in blighty now for a german bow.[/quote]

THE SAGA CONTINUES
the Chinese asked me what postage would cost back to them. Putting the full bow back into the hard plastic pipe they sent it in and posting would cost well over £30. Too much they say, " We had someone else sending a bow back to us for just £6". (Why, with all their "top quality" wood and skilled bow makers are we sending stuff back?). Hence the email requesting that only the tip. frog and button be returned so they can say it was broken and give me a refund. Postage cost now down to £1.70p.
Now the wait for delivery to them and my refund. Gnashing of teeth etc etc.
I've also sent a Shure Beta 58 back to a UK seller because.....thats another story!